The I18n Team
Internationalization (I18n) is essential to make OpenStack ubiquitous. The mission of OpenStack I18n team is to make OpenStack ubiquitously accessible to people of all language backgrounds, by enhancing OpenStack software internationalization, providing translation, maintaining a translation platform and managing translation process for better quality of outcomes.
"Internationalization is the process of designing a software application so that it can be adapted to various languages and regions without engineering changes. Localization is the process of adapting internationalized software for a specific region or language by adding locale-specific components and translating text." - from wikipedia.
The OpenStack I18n team will take responsible for the I18n and L10n of OpenStack. Our work will include:
- Translation of documentations, messages, websites, and etc.
- Translation platform maintenance and enhancements
- I18n test
I18n team welcome any kinds of contribution.
Contribute to translations
If you want to help the translations, firstly you may want to become an official translator and join your language team. Go to translation website to start translation then. You could find the translation jobs in the home page or contact with the coordinators.
If you cannot find your local team, you can request to create a local translation team.
If you want to report translation errors, go to openstack-i18n in Launchpad and report bugs. Mark bugs with a tag "translation".
There are three different roles in a translation team.
- Coordinator: a privileged member in a translation team who can help in team management tasks, such as approving new members and reviewing contributions to that language. We also have task coordinators for specific tasks.
- Member (Translator) : a person who can submit translations.
- Reviewer: a person who can proofread translations and mark them as reviewed.
Contribute to translation tools
Go to this page tools to understand the tools/scripts which are support our translation platform. If you want to help to report bugs, add more wishlists, and improve them, you can report bugs and fix bugs here. Mark bugs with a tag "tools".
Fix I18n bugs
If you want to help to report or fix I18n bugs of OpenStack, go to openstack-i18n in Launchpad. Mark bugs with a tag "i18n".
Getting in touch
- Mailing List
- We use firstname.lastname@example.org as the mailing list.
- We all hang out on #openstack-i18n IRC channel on freenode.
- Team Meeting
- The I18n team meets bi-weekly on Thursdays at alternating times.
- Please see Meetings/I18nTeamMeeting
Local Translation Teams
- Lead: Ying Chun "Daisy" Guo (Daisy on IRC)