Application Ecosystem Working Group
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Mail List
- 3 Team Meetings
- 3.1 The team meets every other week on 'IRC channel' #openstack-meeting, on 1st and 3rd Mondays at 3:00PM (Pacific) / 10:00PM (UTC)
- 3.2 The team is meeting at IRC channel : #openstack-meeting
- 3.3 http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=openstack-meeting
- 3.4 The team meets every other week 'by phone', on 2nd and 4th Mondays at 3:00PM (Pacific) / 10:00PM (UTC)
- 3.5 Call-in Info: (888) 875-9370 or 916-356-2663, Bridge: 2, Passcode: 1467696
- 3.6 Current Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/2016_July_25_App_Ecosystem_Workgroup
- 4 Deliverables
- 5 How to Contribute
- 6 Scope
- 7 Liaisons
- 8 How to Join
- 9 Members
To create an ecosystem where a diverse array of applications built for OpenStack can thrive.
- Grow the number of active OpenStack applications globally, for both private and public cloud use
- Make it simpler to create applications for OpenStack by:
- Improving introductory material
- Ensuring appropriate tools and technical information is available, correct and easy to find
- Further facilitating the association of those creating applications for OpenStack clouds with the OpenStack technical community by:
- Improving developer.openstack.org, a portal for application creators
- Analyzing and improving the 6-monthly conference, particularly the "Cloud App Development" track, and other more feedback-style sessions
- Educating OpenStack's active technical community on the issues faced by those who are targeting OpenStack clouds
Email: We use the user-committee mailing list and prefix the subject line with [app].
The team meets every other week on 'IRC channel' #openstack-meeting, on 1st and 3rd Mondays at 3:00PM (Pacific) / 10:00PM (UTC)
The team is meeting at IRC channel : #openstack-meeting
Assistance for IRC can be found here:
The team meets every other week 'by phone', on 2nd and 4th Mondays at 3:00PM (Pacific) / 10:00PM (UTC)
Call-in Info: (888) 875-9370 or 916-356-2663, Bridge: 2, Passcode: 1467696
Australia - Melbourne - Toll free (+61)1300 365 946
Current Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/2016_July_25_App_Ecosystem_Workgroup
1. Application Ecosystem Feedback
Anyone in the application ecosystem needs a way to give feedback to the OpenStack community at large. This can be a daunting task for those outside of the community. The members of this working group need to gather and channel this feedback into one place where the people building OpenStack itself can consume it. We should be accepting of feedback in all its forms: conversations, email, IRC, blog posts, etc. The point is to act as a conduit and provide a way to get that feedback to the community.
2. Communicate Actionable Items
This working group has a large and diverse group of stakeholders. It's our responsibility to engage these stakeholders, keep them up to date, and communicate actionable items to them. Specifically the Liaisons are responsible for ensuring this happens.
The content necessary to grow an application ecosystem comes in many forms. Some examples are:
- Content for events (eg hackathons)
- White papers
- Code examples
- Application examples
- Application architectures
- e.g. Cloud Computing System Architecture Diagrams but with OpenStack services
- Anything else you can think of
Where a particular piece of content lives will likely depend on the nature of the content.
How to Contribute
Contributions come in the form of the deliverables above.
1. To contribute feedback:
2. To communicate actionable items:
The Liaisons will know best how to communicate with their respective stakeholders.
3. To contribute content:
- Email your idea for content to the User Committee mailing list
- Discuss the content and where it should live
- Execute on that idea
4. Participate in the discussions at the weekly meeting (see Meetings).
There is the related API_Working_Group (API WG). The Application Ecosystem Working Group (AE WG) is complementary to the API WG. The AE WG is focused on anyone creating or running an application on OpenStack whereas the API WG is focused on guidelines for the APIs. The place where these groups meet in the middle is the API, which forms the contract between the two. Members of the AE WG are encouraged to be members of the API WG and vice versa.
- Win the Enterprise
- Carol Barrett
- API Working Group
- Everett Toews
- Lance Bragstad
- User Committee
- Jonathan Proulx
- Technical Committee
- Anne Gentle
- Rags Srinivas
- Jonathan Bryce
- Cross-Project Liaisons
How to Join
Join the user-committee mailing list, watch for emails that are prefixed by [app], and join the discussion. Start contributing to the deliverables.
Please add yourself to this list if you are committed to growing the Application Ecosystem for OpenStack.
- Tom Fifield
- Evan Scheessele
- Shilla Saebi
- Victor Howard
- Carol Barrett
- Karl Amrhein
- Bruno Morel
- David F. Flanders @DFFlanders
- Patricia Montenegro
- Stefano Maffulli
- John Simpson - Intel Corporation
- Christopher Aedo - IBM
- Jay Clark - Hewlett-Packard Enterprise
- Arun Srinivasan - Ebay
- Victor Diaz - Intel
- Marcela Bonell - Intel