Ceilometer/blueprints/Add Billing in Ceilometer
This blueprint aims for providing the admin user of a private cloud facility to view usage and billing details for the spawned instances. Admin can view project-wise billing details of each instance of that project. Usage of resources by the instances will be measured in terms of disk usage, network usage and CPU usage. Total cost for each project will be calculated. Admin user can create rate plans. Rate plans will define charges based on usage by the instance. Any rate plans can be applied for any instance to calculate its billing cost. There will be a default rate plan that will be applied to an instance if admin does not specify explicity which rate plan has to be used. For getting the billing deatils for each tenant/instance we will add more Ceilometer API. Ceilometer will measure usage of resources in terms of disk usage, network usage and CPU usage. For each instance the usage details for following meters will be shown:
1. Disk Read Bytes 2. Disk Write Bytes 3. Disk Write requests 4. Disk Read requests 5. Network Outgoing bytes 6. Network Incoming bytes 7. Network outgoing Packets 8. Network incoming Packets 9. CPU
For each instance ceilometer creates these cumulative meters.
- Facility to view billing details for the spawned instances.
- Project-wise details of each instance of that project.
- Usage of resources by the instances will be measured in terms of disk usage, network usage and CPU usage.
- Total cost for each project will be calculated as per the Rate plans defined. Rate Plan will define charges for CPU, network ,disk usage and flavor.
- Whenever an instance boots up and come into ACTIVE state, its billing will be start from that moment. Default rate plan will be applied on it initially.
- Facility to view/add/apply and delete rate plan.
- These use cases are accessible only for the Admin
In ceilometer we will add two tables inside ceilometer database , one for storing the rate plans and other for stoting billing details for each instance.
1.Table for Rate plans will have following attributes:
- CPU cost per second
- Disk cost per MB
- Network cost per MB
- Cost for flavors
2.Table for instance-bill will have following attributes:
- Date and time at which bill was calculated
For facilitating this, a ‘Billing’ panel group will be added in OpenStack Horizon Following three panels will be added in the Billing Panel group:
1. Add a Rate Plan
On selecting the “Add a Rate Plans” admin user will be shown a form which asks costs for each flavors and meters. Only Admin can create a new Rate Plan. Rate plans will be used for calculating bill for each project
2. View Rate Plans
On selecting the “View Rate Plans” admin user will be shown a list of available rate plans.
3. Usage and billing
On selecting the ‘Usage and Billing’ panel from the Billing panel group, the admin user will be shown a list of all projects their costs. On selecting the project the admin can view the details of the usage and bill calculation for that project.
Will add billing-APIs in ceilometer. Add code for making ceilometer API calls in horizon for getting the metering data per instance.
This need not be added or completed until the specification is nearing beta.
BoF agenda and discussion
Use this section to take notes during the BoF, if you keep it in the approved spec, use it for summarizing what was discussed and note any options that were rejected.