To reliably collect data on the utilization of the physical and virtual resources comprising deployed clouds, persist these data for subsequent retrieval and analysis, and trigger actions when defined criteria are met.
The telemetry requirements of an OpenStack environment are vast and varied, they include use cases such as metering, monitoring, and alarming to name a few. The scope of these uses cases are diverse and beyond the scope of a single project and team. Currently, the telemetry project provides a set of functionality split across multiple projects; each project designed to provide a discrete service in the telemetry space.
The current set of projects are managed by the telemetry team are:
- Aodh - an alarming service
- Ceilometer - a data collection service
- Gnocchi - a time-series database and resource indexing service
Currently, a common spec repo and meeting time are shared between all managed projects
- team lead - Liusheng (liusheng)
Aodh's goal is to enable the ability to trigger actions based on defined rules against sample or event data collected by Ceilometer
- team lead - Gordon Chung (gordc)
Ceilometer's goal is to efficiently collect, normalise and transform data produced by OpenStack services. The data it collects is intended to be used to create different views and help solve various telemetry use cases. Aodh and Gnocchi are two examples of services extending Ceilometer data.
- team lead - Julien Danjou (jd__)
Gnocchi's goal is to provide a time-series resource indexing, metric storage service which enables users to capture OpenStack resources and the metrics associated with them. Using rolling aggregation set by user-defined archival policies, it's aim is to provide a scalable means of storing both short and long term data and provide a statistical view based on the input data (ie. Ceilometer)
- Heat - Orchestration service which provides autoscaling capabilities using Ceilometer data.
- Horizon - UI service which allows interaction with Aodh data.
- PowerVM - PowerVM pollster plugin. Owners: thorst and efried. IRC: #openstack-powervm
- CloudKitty - OpenStack Rating as a Service component and usage reporting.
- Graphite Publisher - Ceilometer publisher to connect to Graphite.
- Watcher - Resource optimization service.
- Cyclops - Rating-Charging-Billing Solution for Cloud providers.
- Collectd - A Collectd writer plugin to publish telemetry to Ceilometer.
The future direction and plans of the project can be found here. Feel free to pick up a task if something interests you. Anyone is free to propose their own ideas in a spec as well.
Contributing to Telemetry
The developer documentation can be found in each projects respective documentation page.
The telemetry project team hangs out on Freenode in the #openstack-telemetry channel, feel free to drop by and stay as long as you want. We use the OpenStack Developers List for our email discussions. If you want to make a post relevant to multiple projects in telemetry space, please tag the subject with [telemetry]. If you have a post regarding a single project, please tag the subject with the appropriate tag: [aodh], [ceilometer] or [gnocchi].
The project team officially meets once a week, see Meetings/Telemetry.