This page has for goal to normalize the units used in Ceilometer.
Status: this page was approved in the Feb 7th 2013 irc meeting.
- Whenever a volume is to be measured, SI approved units and their approved symbols should be used.
- For a given sample, unit should NEVER, EVER be changed
- When the measurement does not represent a volume, the unit description should always described WHAT is measured (ie: apples, disk, routers, floating IPs, etc)
- If a previous counter exist measuring something similar, the same unit and division should be used as much as possible
- Samples (aka meters or counters) should always document their units in Ceilometer (API and Documentation) and new sampling code should not be merged without the appropriate documentation.