Monitoring Physical Devices
It should be possible to monitor physical devices in the OpenStack environment. The monitored devices are:
- the physical servers on which Glance, Cinder, Quantum, Swift, Nova compute node and Nova controller runs
- the network devices used in the OpenStack environment (switches, firewalls ...)
High Level Description
There is a new Ceilometer agent needed to achieve this. This agent should run on every physical OpenStack server. To collect data there should be a way to define and support plugins to collect the data(SNMP, Proc, IPMI ...). For example, to monitor network devices we can simply add and configure a SNMP extension on any physical OpenStack server.
Picture of architecture: attachment:architecture.jpg
Class diagram: attachment:Class Diagram
Questions that must be answered:
- Is enough network bandwith aviable?
- What is the trend of network usage?
- How much bandwith does a customer use?
- How much internet bandwith does a customer use?
- Is enough computing power aviable?
- How much computing power does a customer use?
- Is enough RAM aviable?
- How much local storage does a customer use?
- Is enough storage aviable?
- How much storage does a customer use?
- How many new customers can be served?
- What are the temperature of the components?