Tuskar is built with Triple-O in mind; as such, it may be useful to familiarize yourself with the Triple-O architecture.
One way an Overcloud can be configured is by specifying the scale of the services that will run once it is deployed (e.g., 3 Controller instances and 2 Compute instances). These services are specified by Roles:
- Controller - provides all services other than compute and storage services
- Compute - defines and provides compute services
- Object Storage - defines and provides object storage services
- Block Storage - defines and provides block storage service
On a functional level, an Overcloud Role points to an image in Glance that will be used by Heat for provisioning.
A Node is a single physical compute unit. It corresponds to a compute Node in Nova Baremetal or Ironic.
In Tuskar, a Node can either be:
- Deployed' - a Heat Resource is running on the Node
- Free - available for use