Nova and Cinder key manager for Barbican misuses cached credentials
During the Icehouse release the Cinder and Nova projects added a feature that supports storage volume encryption using keys stored in Barbican. The Barbican key manager, that is part of Nova and Cinder, had a bug that could cause an authorized user to lose access to an encryption key or allow the wrong user to gain access to an encryption key.
Affected Services / Software
Cinder: Icehouse, Juno, Kilo, Liberty Nova: Juno, Kilo, Liberty
The Barbican key manager is a feature that is part of Nova and Cinder to allow those projects to create and retrieve keys in Barbican. The key manager includes a cache function that allows for a copy_key() operation to work while only validating the token once with Keystone.
This cache function had a bug such that the cached token was used for operations where it was no longer valid. The symptoms of this error vary, but include a user not being able to access their key or the wrong user being able to access a key.
An affected user would see an error similar to this in their cinder log:
2015-12-03 09:09:03.648 TRACE cinder.volume.api Unauthorized: The request you have made requires authentication. (Disable debug mode to suppress these details.) (HTTP 401) (Request-ID: req-d2c52e0b-c16d-43ec-a7a0-7611113f1270)
Users wishing to use the Barbican key manager to provided keys for volume encryption with Nova and Cinder should ensure they are using a patched version.
A specification for a fix has been merged for the Mitaka release of both Nova and Cinder. Additionally these patches have been backported to stable/kilo and stable/liberty.
Contacts / References
- Author: Dave McCowan, Cisco
- This OSSN : https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0063
- Original LaunchPad Bug : https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1523646
- OpenStack Security ML : email@example.com
- OpenStack Security Group : https://launchpad.net/~openstack-ossg
- Nova patch for Mitaka : https://review.openstack.org/254358/
- Nova patch for stable/liberty: https://review.openstack.org/288490
- Cinder patch for Mitaka : https://review.openstack.org/254357/
- Cinder patch for stable/liberty: https://review.openstack.org/266678
- Cinder patch for stable/kilo: https://review.openstack.org/266680
- CVE : N/A