- Launchpad Entry: NovaSpec:ipv6-support
- Created: 2010-11-01
- Contributors: Koji Iida, Hisaharu Ishii
- Support IPv4 and IPv6 dual protocol stacks
- IPv4 address exhaustion <
- especially in Asia Pacific region
- NGN (Next Generation Network) in Japan supports both IPv4 and IPv6.
- all public servers of US Government must be upgraded to IPv6 by FY 2012 <
- Basically, this blueprint depends on bexar-network-services http://etherpad.openstack.org/0bp9S20wZR blueprint.
- If bexar-network-services blueprint is deferred, we will implement this feature based on codebase of Austin Release.
Bexar release: Limited implementation of IPv6 direct access model
- Configuration flag to select IPv4 mode or IPv4/IPv6 dual stack mode
- In IPv4/IPv6 dual stack mode:
- IPv6 support coexist with current VlanManager
- Each VM is assigned both IPv6 global unicast address and IPv4 private address
- Not support assignment of only IPv4 address or only IPv6 address to VM.
- Pass-through IPv6 packets on network node
- Firewall rule management for IPv6 traffic
- nova-api support both IPv4 and IPv6 access
- In IPv4 mode, same to current implementation
Followings will be addressed in 'C' release or later.
- Elastic IP feature for IPv6
- IPv6 support in FlatManager
BoF agenda and discussion
Discussion summary of developer summit Bexar: http://etherpad.openstack.org/IPV6-Support