Inception enables you to launch OpenStack-in-OpenStack clouds, i.e., Inception Clouds, which are built entirely on top of the virtual resources acquired from today’s clouds, and provide nested VMs to end users. Inception Clouds enable:
- Acceleration of continuous integration for open-source cloud management software such as OpenStack
- Hypervisor flexibility: VM live migration, VM replication for high availability, instant VM spawning under high load demand, intrusion detection by customizing Dom0 firewall...
- App-specific resource allocation: customize subscription ratio, VM consolidation
- Low operation overhead: no physical metals, therefore no worry on issues like cooling, power, cabling, rack design, malfunctioned hardware replacement, data center real estate
- Spanning across multiple providers: both private and public clouds over geographically wide area
Essentially, Inception Clouds enable entire control of your cloud, with even less operation overhead.
- Scott Daniels (AT&T Labs)
- Andrew Forrest (AT&T Labs)
- Changbin Liu (AT&T Labs)
- Yun Mao
Changbin Liu, Yun Mao. 5th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud), June 2013.