Drafting Committee Process
To start the next phase of setting up the Foundation, we are forming a Drafting Committee to create the legal documents that will outline the details of the structure and operation. We asked organizations who intend to become corporate members of the Foundation and would like to be formally involved in the drafting process to sign a non-binding Framework Acknowledgement letter indicating their interest. The deadline for signing the letter was April 5th, 2012. We are now forming the Drafting Committee with someone assigned from each committed Platinum Member, and the Gold Members are selecting 3 representatives to sit on the Drafting Committee. Gold Members will also have Gold Member calls for the entire class to discuss the drafts. And the companies who signed the letter are:
- Platinum Intent: AT&T, Canonical, HP, IBM, Nebula, Rackspace, Red Hat, SUSE
- Gold Intent: Cisco, Clearpath Networks, Cloudscaling, Dell, DreamHost, ITRI, Mirantis, Morphlabs, Netapp, Piston Cloud Computing, Yahoo!
Therefore the Drafting Committee will have 11 members
- Chairperson, Alice King (Rackspace Attorney)
- AT&T representative
- Canonical rep
- HP rep
- IBM rep
- Nebula rep
- Red Hat rep
- SUSE rep
- Gold Member rep (Assigned by Dreamhost)
- Gold Member rep (Assigned by Piston)
- Gold Member rep (Assigned by Yahoo!)
The Drafting Committee will turn the framework we've developed into detailed, legal Bylaws, Articles of Organization, and Member Agreements, publishing documents along the way for review and feedback by the community. We also intend to engage an independent open-source legal representative to help interpret and publish layperson summaries of legal drafts and revisions, including how they would apply to Individual Members and contributors.
- Drafting Committee point of contact should be an attorney absent special circumstance;
- Drafting Committee conference calls not to exceed 2 hours per session;
- Each participating organization will appoint a single point of contact to speak at the meetings; other organization participants may attend but may listen only;
- Rackspace will take Minutes of Drafting Committee meetings and publish them to wiki.
- Assumes no additional drafting cycle is required