The DefCore Committee maintains this page
Designated Sections Illustration
Designated Sections Selection Guidance
_Approved 2014 Dec 2_
There DefCore committee identified 10 selection criteria. The first seven are technical from the TC and last three allow the Board to resolve issues without needed a technical judgement.
- Designated if the code provides the project external REST API
- Designated if the code is shared and provides common functionality for all options
- Designated if the code implements logic that is critical for crossplatform operation
- NOT Designated if project design explicitly intended this section to be replaceable
- NOT Designated if code extends the project external REST API in a new or different way
- NOT Designated if code is being deprecated
- NOT Designated if code interfaces to vendorspecific functions
- NOT Designated by Default
- Unless code is designated, it is assumed to be undesignated.
- This aligns with the Apache license.
- We have a preference for smaller core.
- Designated by Consensus
- If the community cannot reach a consensus about designation then it is considered undesignated.
- Time to reach consensus will be short: days, not months
- Except obvious trolling, this prevents endless wrangling.
- If there’s a difference of opinion then the safe choice is UNdesignated.
- Designated is Guidance
- Loose descriptions of designated sections are acceptable.
- The goal is guidance on where we want upstream contributions not a code inspection police state.�. Guidance will be revised per release as part of the DefCore process.
The Board approve the following Sections on 2014 Dec 2:
- Havana Nova is by default designated except scheduler, filter, drivers, API extensions and networking.
- Havana Cinder designated sections are the API implementation code
- Havana Glance designated sections are the API implementation code and domain model.
- Havana Swift designated sections are proxy server, object server, container server, account server and select middleware (complete list provided by PTL).