- 1 Airship: Elevate Your Infrastructure!
- 2 v1.0 Release
- 3 Try It Out
- 4 Check It Out
- 5 Contribute
- 6 Story and Issue Tracking
- 7 Airship Technical Committee (TC)
- 8 Airship Working Committee (WC)
- 9 Airship Presentations
- 10 Get in Touch
- 11 Browse the Documentation
Airship: Elevate Your Infrastructure!
Airship is a collection of open source tools for automating cloud provisioning and management. Airship provides a declarative framework for defining and managing the life cycle of open infrastructure tools and the underlying hardware. These tools include OpenStack for virtual machines, Kubernetes for container orchestration, and MaaS for bare metal, with planned support for OpenStack Ironic.
The Airship community is excited to announce its v1.0 release in conjunction with the Open Infrastructure Summit Denver. Airship v1.0 delivers a wide range of enhancements to security, resiliency, continuous integration, and documentation, as well as upgrades to the platform, deployment and tooling features. The v1.0 milestone marks production readiness of Airship for the enterprise.
More information on the v1.0 release, its features, and how to deploy it can be found here.
Try It Out
To experiment with a single-node deployment of Airship in a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 VM, visit https://airshipit.org.
To download the Airship Seaworthy multi-node Airship reference deployment and continuous integration pipeline, see the Check It Out section.
The VM is managed using OpenStack Horizon. For information on OpenStack, see the OpenStack documentation at https://docs.openstack.org/. The undercloud platform is managed using Airship Shipyard. For information about Shipyard, see the Documentation section.
Check It Out
Please, find Airship presentations here.
You can check out the source code from this repositories: https://opendev.org/airship.
There you’ll find the following components:
- Airship-in-a-Bottle - A complete, single-node deployment for curious newcomers.
- Airship Specifications - Specifications for the Airship projects
- Armada - An orchestrator for deploying and upgrading a collection of Helm charts
- Berth - A lightweight mechanism for managing VMs on top of Kubernetes via Helm
- Deckhand - A configuration management service with features to support managing large cluster configurations
- Diving Bell - A lightweight solution for bare metal configuration management
- Drydock - A declarative host provisioning system built initially to leverage MaaS for baremetal host deployment
- MaaS - Kubernetes deployment artifacts for Canonical MaaS
- Pegleg - A tool to organize configuration of multiple Airship deployments
- Promenade - A deployment system for resilient, self-hosted Kubernetes
- Shipyard - A cluster life cycle orchestrator for Airship
- Treasure Map - Reference Airship manifests, CI/CD, and reference architecture
An additional component is Airship Seaworthy, a multi-node Airship reference deployment and continuous integration pipeline using Jenkins, available here.
Airship is free and open source software. The code is available under the Apache 2 license.
Airship has a number of independent components, and we welcome new contributors to all of them! Good ways to get started include:
- Take a look at Treasure Map to see how the pieces fit together.
- Join the weekly design meeting to see what work is in the hopper (see Get In Touch, below).
- Introduce yourself in the IRC channel #airshipit (see Get In Touch).
- Take a look at unassigned work items in the OpenStack Airship StoryBoard and volunteer for one.
Story and Issue Tracking
Feel free to browse Airship stories and issues at the OpenStack Airship StoryBoard and even volunteer for an unassigned item.
StoryBoard projects have been created for each of the Airship components. For descriptions of the components, see the Treasure Map (or the Check It Out section above). Follow these links to the StoryBoard projects:
Airship Technical Committee (TC)
- Visit Airship Technical Committee page
Airship Working Committee (WC)
- Visit Airship Working Committee page
- Visit Airship Presentations page
- A selected playlist of recorded Airship presentations can be found here.
Get in Touch
- Visit lists.airshipit.org
IRC Meeting - Weekly
- Every Tuesday at 09:00 CST / 15:00 UTC
- Freenode IRC: #airshipit
- Meeting logs: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/airship/
Design Call - Twice-weekly
- When: Every Tuesday at 08:00 CDT / 13:00 UTC
- Where: https://attcorp.webex.com/attcorp/j.php?MTID=m395591d60e428242f9803637291af0a1
- When: Every Thursday at 10:00 CDT / 15:00 UTC
- Where: https://attcorp.webex.com/attcorp/j.php?MTID=m931aabac041bb2548d4c0a6a93a363d3
- Project document: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Airship_OpenDesignDiscussions
- For more information, contact Rodolfo Pacheco firstname.lastname@example.org.
AIRSHIP Flight Plan - Community Management Meetings
|airship-flightplan||Rodolfo Pacheco||Every Wed 10:00 CDT / 15:00 UTC||https://attcorp.webex.com/attcorp/j.php?MTID=m601b443aab0cf49ee8b75401dd6e1649||https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Airship_FlightPlan|
AIRSHIP SIG - Special Interest Meetings
All sig communicate via the email@example.com mailing list. Please make sure you add this [sig][airship-<NAME OF THE SIG>] in the subject of any email pertaining to a specific sig (e.g. [sig][airship-yaml]).
|airship-yaml||Rodolfo Pacheco||Every Mon 10:00 CDT / 15:00 UTC||https://attcorp.webex.com/attcorp/j.php?MTID=m9a90cfe308be0200b986374944beea3c||https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Airship_Yaml|
|airship-ui||Rodolfo Pacheco||Every Fri 12:00 CDT / 17:00 UTC||https://attcorp.webex.com/attcorp/j.php?MTID=mc721b28407bf8e8d1043fb6c6f7e70b2||https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Airship_UI|
|airship-boostrap||Roman Gorshunov||On-demand, Wed 09:00 CDT / 13:00 UTC||https://attcorp.webex.com/join/rg445d||https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Airship_bootstrap - raise your topics here if you would like a meeting to be set up and contact Roman Gorshunov via mailing list or personally|
Browse the Documentation
- Product page: https://www.airshipit.org/
- Airship Treasure Map, including descriptions of component projects: https://airship-treasuremap.readthedocs.io
- Site authoring and deployment guide: https://airship-treasuremap.readthedocs.io/en/latest/authoring_and_deployment.html
- Technical detail, including conventions, security guide, and getting started: https://airshipit.readthedocs.io
- OpenStack Code of Conduct: http://www.openstack.org/legal/community-code-of-conduct.
- Four Opens of Community Development: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Open.