Zun (ex. Higgins) is a Container Management service for OpenStack. It aims to provide an OpenStack API for launching and managing containers backed by different container technologies.
- 2016-04-20 According to the discussion in the OpenStack Austin design summit, we are going to create a new project (which is Higgins) for providing OpenStack container service. The Magnum project (another OpenStack project for containers) will focus on deployment and management of Container Orchestration Engines (COEs).
- 2016-06-07 We renamed the project from "Higgins" to "Zun"
- Launchpad Project Pages
- Mailing List
- Code Repository
- Design Spec
- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/365754/ The sandbox approach
Our developers use IRC in
#openstack-zun on freenode for development discussion.
The Zun team holds public meetings. We meet in
#openstack-meeting on Tuesday on the following schedule:
|2017-04-11||UTC 0300 Tuesday||http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Zun+Team+Meeting&iso=20170411T03|
|2017-04-18||UTC 0300 Tuesday||http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Zun+Team+Meeting&iso=20170418T03|
|2017-04-25||UTC 0300 Tuesday||http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Zun+Team+Meeting&iso=20170425T03|
Agenda for 2017-04-11 0300 UTC
- Roll Call
- Zun will hold a feedback session at Boston Forum
- Propose to have a "Boston Summit" release by the end of April
- Review Action Items
- hongbin send an email to sudipta for coordinating the host capability work with Shunli (DONE)
- Cinder integration (diga)
- Kuryr integration (hongbin)
- Introduce host capabilities and cpusets (sudipto)
- Containers on VMs
- Introduce container composition
- Open Discussion
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the relationship between Zun and Magnum?
Zun and Magnum are two independent projects. Zun aims to provide APIs to manage containers, while Magnum provides APIs to provision and manage Container Orchestration Engine (COEs), such as Kubernetes.
2) Who is Zun for? In comparison, who is Magnum for?
Zun is for users who want to create and manage containers as OpenStack-managed resource. Containers managed by Zun are supposed to be integrated well with other OpenStack resources, such as Neutron network and Cinder volume. Users are provided a simplified APIs to manage containers without the need to explore the complexities of different container technologies. Magnum is for users who want a self-service solution to provision and manage a Kubernetes (or other COEs) cluster.
3) What is the difference between Zun and nova-docker?
Nova-docker allows accessing containers via Nova's API, while Zun is not bounded by Nova's API.
4) Does Zun compete with Kubernetes (or other COEs)?
We do not intend to compete with Kubernetes or other COEs. In fact, Kubernetes provides Container Orchestration and many other advanced features (i.e. keep container alive, load balancing, etc.). In comparison, Zun will start with basic container operations (i.e. CRUD) and focus on tight integration with OpenStack.