Aim: To develop a fully functional ETSI MANO based general purpose VNF Manager for OpenStack
Meetings: Thursdays 1600 UTC [On-Demand] @
Tags: [NFV] [Tacker]
Mission & Scope
Tacker is an OpenStack based VNF Manager service and a framework used to deploy and operate Virtual Network Functions (VNFs) on an OpenStack based NFV Platform. It is based on ETSI MANO Architectural Framework and provides full functional stack to Orchestrate VNFs end-to-end.
High Level Functionality
- VNF Catalog
- Basic life-cycle of VNF (define/start/stop/undefine)
- Performance and Health monitoring of deployed VNFs
- Auto Healing VNFs based on Policy
- Facilitate initial configuration of VNF
Relation to Nova, Glance, Heat :
Tacker makes use of Nova and Glance for VM and image management. Tacker makes use of Heat as a subsystem to manage virtual devices.
Tacker API can be used by SP's OSS / BSS or a NFV Orchestrator to deploy VNFs in SP's network to deliver agile network services for remote Customer networks
Tacker API can be used by SP's OSS / BSS or a NFV Orchestrator to manage OpenStack enabled remote CPE devices to deploy VNFs to locally provide network services at customer site.
Tacker API can be used by SP's OSS / BSS or a NFV Orchestrator to deploy VNFs within SP's network to virtualize existing network services into a Virtual Function.
TOSCA for NFV
Tacker uses TOSCA for VNF meda-data definition. Within TOSCA Tacker used NFV profile schema,
- TOSCA NFV Profile (working draft): https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/55662/tosca-nfv-v1.0-wd01-rev04.doc
Points of contact
- Launchpad project page: https://launchpad.net/tacker
- IRC meeting information: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Tacker
- IRC channel on Freenode:
|Design & Documentation||Tacker/Design|
|Dependencies & Wish List||Tacker/Dependencies|
|Spec/Patch Tracking||Spec & Patch Tracking|
|Liberty Tacker Talk||Sched Link|
|Juno Design Summit||Tacker/JunoSummit|