Board of Directors - May 7, 2017 Meeting
The OpenStack Foundation Board of Directors will meet at 9:00am - 5:00pm Boston on May 7, 2017. Directors may participate in person or via conference dial-in. Audio from the meeting will also be available to the community.
The meeting will be held at the Sheraton, Level 2, Constitution Ballroom
To join the session remotely:
- Go to https://openstack.webex.com/openstack/k2/j.php?MTID=tcd678de6941e4dd3822bae40a52af3a4
- Enter your name and email address (or registration ID).
- Enter the session password: This session does not require a password.
- Click "Join Now".
- Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
Board Meeting Agenda
- Chair: Alan Clark, Vice Chair: Lew Tucker
- Executive Director: Jonathan Bryce
- Minutes: Mark Radcliffe
- Non official meeting discussion Channels:
- webex chat
- IRC: #openstack-board
- Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/UnofficialBoardNotes-May7-2017
- Non official meeting discussion Channels:
(9:00) Call To Order, Open Session
- Welcome to the new board members.
- Thank you and best wishes to Eileen Evans and Toby Ford for their dedication, support and contributions to the OpenStack Board efforts.
- Welcome to Anni Lai as a Platinum Director.
- Welcome to Kandan Kathirvel as a Platinum Director.
- Welcome to Jessica Field as a Gold Member Director
- Roll Call
- Approve minutes from March 9, 2017 board meeting
(9:30) Executive Director Update
(10:00) Committee Actions and Updates
- (10:00) Interoperability WG - Egle, Mark, Chris
- Interop WG general updates
- Status of 2017.08 guideline
- Schema 2.0
- (10:20) Product WG - Shamail and Leong
- Product WG vision, asking for feedback
- (10:40) Break
- (11:00) Membership Committee - Rob, Anni
- (11:00) China Unicom - William Lu
- (11:30) FiberHome - Wang Hao and He Qing
(12:00) Executive Session - Working Lunch
(13:30) Board Business
- Board motions - Alan
(14:00) Meeting Close
(14:00) Joint Meeting of the Board, TC and UC
(14:00) Call To Order, Open Session
- (14:15) Clamping the App Gaps - David Flanders & Clark Boylan - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/clamping-app-gaps
- Numerous tools have emerged as connectors for utilizing OpenStack APIs. This range of connector tools is too great for any one community to support: (a) APIs/SDKs (e.g. OpenStackCLI, LibCloud, Shade, jClouds, Fog, GopherCloud, etc), (b) Provisioning (e.g. Ansible, Terraform, Salt, Chef, Puppet), and (c) C/PaaS (e.g. OpenShift, Cloud Foundry, Docker Swarm, Cloudify, DC/OS, etc). Discussion on recommendations for moving from a '1 to many' to a '1 to few' application community tactic.
- Names: David F. Flanders, (proxy for Clark Boylan).
(14:40) The Strategic Focus Areas Reports from each area has been placed placed on: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/UnofficialBoardNotes-May7-2017
- (15:00) Communicate about OpenStack -Thierry
- Categorize (objective data) and map (subjective approach) OpenStack projects as base versus optional (within a specific use case), integrated versus independent release, emerging versus mature, stability, adoption metrics, what works together, services versus consumption (operational tools/client libraries), and other criteria
- Names: Thierry Carrez [lead], Alan Clark, Allison Randal, Jon Proulx, Melvin Hillsman, Lauren Sell, Tim Bell, Mark Baker, Kenji Kaneshige
- (15:20) Unanswered Requirements - Melvin
- Bring different groups (UC/TC/Product/InterOp/etc) together at Forum to collaborate/communicate aroud user stories, gap analysis, what fits in the current state of tech, prioritize what would have the greatest impact in reducing pain for users.
- Names: Melvin Hillsman [lead], Yih Leong Sun, Jon Proulx, Rob Esker, Emilien Macchi, Doug Hellmann, Tim Bell, Shamail Tahir (was unable to join last week), Anni Lai, Arkady
- (15:40)Adjacent Technologies:
- Make our technology more consumable (independently) by other communities/projects.
- Names: Chris Price [lead], Alan Clark, Dims, Rob Esker, Mark Collier, Steven Dake, Mark McLoughlin, Shamail Tahir (was unable to join last week)
- (16:00)Changes to the Technology:
- Workstream to simplify existing projects, reduce dependency options, reduce config options.
- Names: Mike Perez [lead], --> TC project
- (16:20)Community Health:
- Grow next generation of leadership/experts/cross-project devs within the community
- Names: Steven Dake [lead], Chris Price, Jeremy Stanley, Dims, AlanClark , Joseph Wang
(17:00) Meeting Close