Release Naming/Z Proposals
Z Release Naming
According to the Release Naming Process, this page will contain a list of nominated names for the Z release of OpenStack. We will accept nominations until Jan 24, 2022, 23:59:59 UTC.
Release Name Criteria
The way we do release naming has changed slightly from past releases. Rather than restricting name candidates to the geographic region where the Summit is held, we will now accept any name a member of the community would like to propose, as long as the name begins with the appropriate letter. The current release naming criteria are defined in Release Name Criteria
Names that do not meet Release Name Criteria but otherwise sound really cool should be added to a separate section of the wiki page and the OpenStack Technical Committee may make an exception for one or more of them to be considered in the Condorcet poll. The naming official is responsible for presenting the list of exceptional names for consideration to the OpenStack Technical Committee before the poll opens.
Please list names (please in alphabetical order!) with any relevant links for more details. If there is a particular reason you think a name would be a good choice, please add a brief rationale with the name.
- Zabaione a typical Italian dessert
- Zachary: A biblical character
- Zagreb- capital of Croatia
- Zaman: an Arabic and Hebrew word (زمان or זמן) for time, era
- Zamora: A city and municipality of Spain
- Zanda: A fictional Marvel Comics princess
- Zanzibar: An insular autonomous region of Tanzania
- Zap: G.I. Joe Team's original bazooka soldier!
- Zatarc: Programmed assassin within the Stargate Universe
- Zathura: American science fiction adventure film
- Zazzy: Shiny or flashy
- Zelda: The famous princess of Hyrule's kingdom
- Zen (after Yoga, you should get Zen)
- Zeppelin: A type of rigid airship named after the German inventor Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin
- Zephyr: A light wind
- Zesty: Having or characterized by zest : appealingly piquant or lively
- Zeus: "king of the gods" or "god of the sky, lightning, thunder, law, order, justice".
- Zia: The Zia is an indigenous nation of people in New Mexico known for their pottery and the Sun symbol, which is on the flag of New Mexico.
- Ziggy: An popular animal loving cartoon character
- Zigzag: A pattern
- Zinc: Zinc is a trace element that is essential for human health
- Zip: An archive file format
- Zircon: A mineral
- Zika, e.g. xrna, yoga, zika
- Zodiac: A nod to OpenStack's origins being celestial in nature, recognized world wide, and reflect diversity ("signs") that make OpenStack what it is today. It rhymes.
- Zoinks: An expression of surprise, made popular by the character "Shaggy" in the Scooby-Doo cartoon
- Zoltan: A name of Hungarian origin that means life, king or ruler.
- Zoltar: Fortune telling robot
- Zombie : an undead
- Zoom: Feature in graphical edition software and object use to close up on a remote object.
- Zorba: The heaviest and longest dog in the world
- Zorg: Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg
- Zorglub: A fictional character from Spirou & Fantasio
- Zorilla: A striped African polecat. (Is it a weasel? Is it a fox? is it a skunk?) This has been the mascot of the OpenStack Manila project and contributors call themselves Zorillas.
- Zorro: A masked hero who defends the commoners against villains
- ZothOmMoG: ZOMG, we're all gonna die!
- Zounds: An interjection of surprise, common in Shakespearean English
- Zoya: A feminine name meaning life
- Zuckerberg: Mark Zuckerberg
- Zulu, the NATO phonetic alphabet designation for the letter Z, as well as a storied kingdom and language in what is now South Africa
- Zurg: Toy Story
- Zurich: Place for a next summit
- Zdravo : Say " Hello " in Serbian to the New release