Long Term Mentoring Program- Mentee’s Guide
Responsibilities in the Mentoring Relationship:
- Take the initiative (i.e. schedule meetings, set agenda)
- Be respectful of your Mentor’s time
- Be flexible around meeting times
- Understand your Mentor’s time commitment
- Come prepared to meetings
- Set personal goals and discuss them with your mentor
- Be honest, realistic and clear about your expectations
- Maintain confidentiality
- Ask questions and listen to answers with an open mind
- Commit and take action on suggestions and recommendations
- Ask for feedback
Activities to Consider:
- Plan to meet with your Mentor at OpenStack Meetups, Summits, Mid-cycles!
- Volunteer for a community project that lends itself to the development of the identified skill (i.e. project management, effective meeting skills).
- Become familiar with published models designed to increase career effectiveness (e.g., situational leadership, conflict resolution, management task cycle, wheel of influence, etc.).
- Try Toastmasters for developing presentation skills.
- Have lunch with others who have similar skill interests/experience.
- Read the same book as your Mentor, share learning and application ideas.
- Agree to join in some mutually interesting activity with your Mentor.