OpenStack Queuing and Notification Service
As OpenStack matures, it needs to support bigger, more complex web applications. Such applications require a robust, web-scale message queuing service to support the distributed nature of large web applications. Marconi is a new OpenStack project designed to fill this need. Our aim is to create an open alternative to SQS (producer-consumer) and SNS (pub-sub), for use in applications that run on OpenStack clouds. A message queueing service is vital component of big, complex web applications
The project will define a clean, RESTful API, use a modular architecture, and will support unified pub-sub and job-queuing semantics. Users will be able to customize Marconi to achieve a wide range of performance, durability, availability, and efficiency goals.
Marconi aims to be pragmatic, building upon the real-world experiences of teams who have solid track records running and supporting web-scale message queueing systems. The project's overarching design philosophy is derived from Donald A. Norman:
The value of a well-designed object is when it has such a rich set of affordances that the people who use it can do things with it that the designer never imagined.
Goals related to the above:
- Emergent functionality, utility
- Modular, pluggable code base
- REST architectural style
Principles to live by:
- Distribute tasks among multiple workers (transactional job queues)
- Forward events to data collectors (transactional event queues)
- Publish events to any number of subscribers (pub-sub)
- Send commands to one or more agents (point-to-point or pub-sub)
- Request an action or get information from an agent (RPC)
Out of Scope
Marconi may be used as the foundation for other services to support the following use cases, but will not support them directly within its code base.
- Forwarding notifications to email, SMS, Twitter, etc.
- Forwarding notifications to web hooks
- Forwarding notifications to APNS, GCM, etc.
- Metering usage
- Alejandro Cabrera. Rackspace Atlanta. Introducing Openstack Marconi. July 17, 2013. Youtube Speaker Deck
- Flavio Percoco. EuroPython 2013. Marconi: Queuing and Notification Service for Openstack. July 2, 2013. Youtube
|IRC||#openstack-marconi on Freenode|
|Developer Docs||Python Client Bindings|
|Client source code||https://github.com/stackforge/python-marconiclient|