Scientific working group
Status: Active (@May 2016)
Chairs: Stig Telfer, Blair Bethwaite and Martial Michel
OpenStack Foundation liaison: David F. Flanders <Flanders@OpenStack.org>
Welcome to the OpenStack Scientific Working Group landing page.
Please cite this working group using the #scientific-wg tag on listservs, github, blogs, twitter and other social infrastructure.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Communication
- 3 Members
- 4 History
- 5 Activity Areas
- 6 Meetings
Aim: The Scientific Working Group is dedicated to representing and advancing the use-cases and needs of research and high-performance computing atop OpenStack. It's also a great forum for cross-institutional collaboration. If you are (or would like to) run OpenStack to support researchers/scientists/academics and/or HPC/HTC, then please join!
- HPC/HTC Infrastructure
- Research Data Infrastructure
- Application Infrastructure
- Social Infrastructure
- Create opportunities for the scientific community to engage the wider OpenStack community, i.e. industry,
The default communication of our members is via the following open community mailing lists:
- email@example.com for coordination of working group activities. Please prefix email subject lines with the tag "[scientific-wg]".
- firstname.lastname@example.org for operational discussion of scientific OpenStack deployment issues. Please prefix email subject lines with the tag "[scientific]".
Please use the hashtag "scientific-wg" for tagging any etherpad URLs, code, blogs posts, scientific research and/or other social publishing platforms.
No formal membership is required. Please introduce yourself and/or fellow colleagues to this working group using one of the mailing lists below, or by attending one of the IRC meetings.
This group is open to all members of the scientific OpenStack community and supporting vendors.
Significant dates for the working group (in reverse chronological order):
- [Please add latest activity for the #scientific-wg here at the top of this list]
- A proposal for hosting a face-to-face working group meeting was drafted at the following document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10d7XDC1yw3thjxMMC1EXJlfmMAcjkfj2wnhH2MJgh9k/edit
- The group was approved by the OpenStack foundation's User Committee board and wiki page minted on 15th January 2016.
- The original proposal and call for nominations was drafted via this etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scientific-wg
- The #scientific-wg originated from a conversation in the hallways of the Tokyo OpenStack summit (Oct 2015), ideas originating from John Taylor, Paul Calleja, Stig Telfer, Jonathan Proulx, David F. Flanders, Lauren Sell & Tom Fifield.
Every OpenStack development cycle, four activity areas are selected to focus on, and working group members gather data on problems and solutions in areas that affect them.
For the Ocata development cycle, the four activity areas are:
- Monitoring and Telemetry
- GPUs in OpenStack
- Data Management and Big Data
- Scientific OpenStack Federation
The Scientific WG contributes knowledge and experience to the OpenStack Foundation's Scientific OpenStack site.
The Scientific WG also generated and maintains the content for the OpenStack/HPC guide "The Crossroads of Cloud and HPC: OpenStack for Scientific Research", published by the OpenStack Foundation and made available as an ebook.
The Scientific Working Group usually meets at the OpenStack Summits, and also at operators mid-cycle meetups (where possible).
- Boston Summit May 2017, Boston, MA, USA: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Scientific-WG-boston
- Newton Design Summit April 2016, Austin, USA: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scientific-wg-austin-summit-agenda
- Operators mid-cycle February 2016, Manchester, UK: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MAN-ops-Scientific-WG
Boston Summit, May 2017
The Scientific WG is planning a range activities for the summit in Boston:
For the best global coverage, IRC meetings are held in alternating time zones:
- Every two weeks on even weeks, 2100 UTC on Tuesday in IRC channel #openstack-meeting
- Every two weeks on odd weeks, 0900 UTC on Wednesday in IRC channel #openstack-meeting
Full details (including a calendar file) are available at eavesdrop.openstack.org. If you need help getting started with IRC see http://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/irc.html.
IRC Meeting May 24th 2017
2017-05-24 0900UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- Collecting together research papers: user stories of Scientific OpenStack
- Move meetings to new #scientific-wg IRC channel?
IRC Meeting May 16th 2017
2017-05-16 2100UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- Boston Summit Roundup
- Boston Cloud Congress report
- Scientific WG members questionnaire
- Why as a student or researcher in university should I care about Scientific Working Group?
- Why do researchers choose OpenStack as their IaaS platform?
- What are the key difference between scientific OpenStack Clouds and other general OpenStack Clouds?
- What kinds of workloads do researchers run on their OpenStack Clouds?
- How can researchers speed up their work with OpenStack?
- What kinds of challenges do researchers face when using OpenStack clouds in their organization?
- What features are missing in OpenStack to provide better infrastructure for scientific research?
IRC Meeting May 2nd 2017
Meeting CANCELLED - co-chairs are not available - see you all in person next week!
IRC Meeting April 26th 2017
2017-04-26 0900 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- Boston OpenStack summit planning roundup
- Meeting: https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/events/17698
- Lightning talks: https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/events/18676
- BOF: https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/events/17699
- Social: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/openstack-scientific-working-group-boston-social-tickets-33928219217
- WG activities at the Forum
- Cloud Congress
- WG IRC channel
- On its way: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459881/
IRC Meeting April 18th 2017
2017-04-18 2100 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- Boston OpenStack summit planning roundup
- Meeting agenda
- Lightning talks
- Evening social
- Cloud Congress
- Any other business
Minutes and transcripts from all previous meetings can be found here.