Status: Active (@May 2016)
Chairs: Stig Telfer, Blair Bethwaite and Martial Michel
OpenStack Foundation liaison: David F. Flanders <Flanders@OpenStack.org>
Welcome to the OpenStack Scientific Special Interest Group (SIG) landing page.
Please cite this SIG using the #scientific tag on listservs, github, blogs, twitter and other social infrastructure.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Communication
- 3 Members
- 4 History
- 5 Activity Areas
- 6 Meetings
Aim: The Scientific SIG is dedicated to representing and advancing the use-cases and needs of research and high-performance computing with OpenStack. It's also a great forum for cross-institutional collaboration. If you are (or would like to) run OpenStack to support researchers/scientists/academics and/or HPC/HTC, then please join!
- HPC/HTC Infrastructure
- Research Data Infrastructure
- Application Infrastructure
- Social Infrastructure
- Create opportunities for the scientific community to engage the wider OpenStack community, i.e. industry,
The default communication of our members is via the following open community mailing lists:
- email@example.com for coordination of SIG activities. Please prefix email subject lines with the tag "[scientific]".
- firstname.lastname@example.org for operational discussion of scientific OpenStack deployment issues. Please prefix email subject lines with the tag "[scientific]".
Please use the hashtag "scientific" for tagging any etherpad URLs, code, blogs posts, scientific research and/or other social publishing platforms.
No formal membership is required. Please introduce yourself and/or fellow colleagues to this SIG using one of the mailing lists above, or by attending one of the IRC meetings.
This group is open to all members of the scientific OpenStack community and supporting vendors.
Significant dates for the SIG (in reverse chronological order):
- [Please add latest activity for the #scientific SIG here at the top of this list]
- The group previously known as the Scientific Working Group adopted SIG status in accordance with recommendation by the OpenStack User Committee
- A proposal for hosting a face-to-face working group meeting was drafted at the following document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10d7XDC1yw3thjxMMC1EXJlfmMAcjkfj2wnhH2MJgh9k/edit
- The group was approved by the OpenStack foundation's User Committee board and wiki page minted on 15th January 2016.
- The original proposal and call for nominations was drafted via this etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scientific-wg
- The #scientific-wg originated from a conversation in the hallways of the Tokyo OpenStack summit (Oct 2015), ideas originating from John Taylor, Paul Calleja, Stig Telfer, Jonathan Proulx, David F. Flanders, Lauren Sell & Tom Fifield.
Every OpenStack development cycle, we select focus areas of interest to active members at the time. These SIG members gather data on problems and solutions in areas that affect them.
For the Ocata development cycle, the four activity areas are:
- Monitoring and Telemetry
- GPUs in OpenStack
- Data Management and Big Data
- Scientific OpenStack Federation
The Scientific WG contributes knowledge and experience to the OpenStack Foundation's Scientific OpenStack site.
The Scientific WG also generated and maintains the content for the OpenStack/HPC guide "The Crossroads of Cloud and HPC: OpenStack for Scientific Research", published by the OpenStack Foundation and made available as an ebook.
The Scientific SIG usually meets at the OpenStack Summits, and also at operators mid-cycle meetups (where possible).
- Boston Summit May 2017, Boston, MA, USA: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Scientific-WG-boston
- Newton Design Summit April 2016, Austin, USA: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scientific-wg-austin-summit-agenda
- Operators mid-cycle February 2016, Manchester, UK: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MAN-ops-Scientific-WG
Boston Summit, May 2017
The Scientific WG is planning a range activities for the summit in Boston:
For the best global coverage, IRC meetings are held in alternating time zones:
- Every two weeks on even weeks, 2100 UTC on Tuesday in IRC channel #openstack-meeting
- Every two weeks on odd weeks, 1100 UTC on Wednesday in IRC channel #openstack-meeting
Full details (including a calendar file) are available at eavesdrop.openstack.org. If you need help getting started with IRC see http://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/irc.html.
IRC Meeting February 16th 2021
2021-02-16 2100 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- Bare metal SIG presents - Ironic deploy steps
- Options for the Scientific SIG to do the same?
- "SuperClouds" - mixed bare metal and virtualisation
IRC Meeting February 2nd 2021
2021-02-02 2100 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- AOB - Ironic deploys
IRC Meeting January 19th 2021
2021-01-19 2100 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- AOB - ISC, SC21, funcx
IRC Meeting January 13th 2021
2021-01-13 1100 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
- AOB - multi-tenant HPC storage, etc.
IRC Meeting January 5th 2021
2021-01-05 2100 UTC in channel #openstack-meeting
Minutes and transcripts from all previous meetings can be found here.