Release Naming/X Proposals
X Release Naming
According to the Release Naming Process, this page will contain a list of nominated names for the X release of OpenStack. We will accept nominations until November 26, 2020 23:59:59 UTC.
Release Name Criteria
The way we do release naming has changed slightly from past releases. Rather than restricting name candidates to the geographic region where the Summit is held, we will now accept any name a member of the community would like to propose, as long as the name begins with the appropriate letter. The current release naming criteria are:
- Each release name must start with the letter of the ISO basic Latin alphabet following the initial letter of the previous release, starting with the initial release of "Austin". After "Z", the next name should start with "A" again.
- The name must be composed only of the 26 characters of the ISO basic Latin alphabet. Names which can be transliterated into this character set are also acceptable.
- The name must be a single word with a maximum length of 10 characters.
Names which do not meet these criteria but otherwise sound really cool should be added to a separate section of the wiki page and the TC may make an exception for one or more of them to be considered in the Condorcet poll. The naming official is responsible for presenting the list of exceptional names for consideration to the TC before the poll opens.
Please list names with any relevant links to more details. If there is a particular reason you think a name would be a good choice, please add a brief rationale with the name.
- Xanadu - an ancient Mongolian capital, also the title of Gene Kelly's last film appearance, also the fictional estate of Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane, also Mandrake the Magician's high-tech mansion
- Note that the proper name of the Mongolian capital is Shangdu; the name Xanadu is a sensational spelling from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1816 poem "Kubla Khan"
- Xavier - X-Men character played by Patrick Stewart
- xylocarp - coconut
- xylyl - just a crazy-looking word
- Xenomorph - I think this is fun and 2020 needs fun right now
- Xyzzy - the only magic word you'll ever need (except maybe plugh)
- xylophone - an instrument played with sticks having a soft sound
- Xerxes - A few different uses, I've linked the mountain but also an ancient ruler
- Xenon - A chemical element, part of the noble gases
- XRay - A penetrating form of high-energy electromagnetic radiation (shortened compliant form of X-Ray)
- Xerus - A genus of coarse-haired long-tailed African ground squirrels
- Xenith - A Marvel female superhero and galactic peace keeper. Also a manufacturer of thin clients later acquired by Wyse.
- Xiamen - A major city in Fujian province, China
- xoanon - a simple, carved image, especially one in which the original block of stone or wood is readily apparent.
- xor - Exclusive or or exclusive disjunction is a logical operation that outputs true only when inputs differ.
- xebec - a small, three-masted vessel of the Mediterranean, formerly much used by corsairs, now employed to some extent in commerce.
- Xena - a fictional warrior princess
- Xalapa - city in Mexico
- Xenia - the ancient greek sacred rule of hospitality that ensured guest and host would be courteous to each other; also a city in Ohio, USA
- Xian - large city in China, Shaanxi province (there are a couple of dozen large cities in China that start with X) (compliant form of Xi'an)
- Xanthi - town in Greece
- Xangongo - town in Angola
- Xanthippe - wife of Socrates
- Xeric - adapted to a dry environment
- xenoblast - a crystal that forms in metamorphic rock and gets its outline from neighboring crystals; additionally, sounds really cool. Somehow there's a metaphor in there for how VMs could be any kind of machine, and you make them what you need by putting them in the context of your use case.
- Xit - a 1970s native american rock band. Also a Vietnamese word meaning "to spray".
- Xhosa - an awesome language from southern Africa, one of 11 official languages of South Africa, spoken by more than 8 million people from SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Lesotho. It also has clicks!
- Xingu Indigenous people in Brazil.
- Xero A Spanish synonym for arid.
- Xylophone A music instrument.
- Xenophon Ancient Greek Athenian-born military leader, philosopher, and historian.