Release Naming/W Proposals
W Release Naming
According to the Release Naming Process, this page will contain a list of nominated names for the W release of OpenStack. We will accept nominations until February 7, 2020 23:59:59 UTC.
Release Name Criteria
The way we do release naming has changed slightly from past releases. Rather than restricting name candidates to the geographic region where the Summit is held, we will now accept any name a member of the community would like to propose, as long as the name begins with the appropriate letter. The current release naming criteria are:
- Each release name must start with the letter of the ISO basic Latin alphabet following the initial letter of the previous release, starting with the initial release of "Austin". After "Z", the next name should start with "A" again.
- The name must be composed only of the 26 characters of the ISO basic Latin alphabet. Names which can be transliterated into this character set are also acceptable.
- The name must be a single word with a maximum length of 10 characters.
Names which do not meet these criteria but otherwise sound really cool should be added to a separate section of the wiki page and the TC may make an exception for one or more of them to be considered in the Condorcet poll. The naming official is responsible for presenting the list of exceptional names for consideration to the TC before the poll opens.
Please list names with any relevant links to more details. If there is a particular reason you think a name would be a good choice, please add a brief rationale with the name.
- Wallaby Wallabies are native to Australia, which at the start of this naming period is currently experiencing unprecedented wild fires.
- Wodewick A reference to a famous and hilarious scene in a movie by Monty Python (also the source of the name of the Python language), and/or a cheap joke at the expense of people with speech impediments, depending on your perspective.
- Whiskey The International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet codeword for the letter W.
- Whisky A popular alcoholic beverage.
- Wow A noun that represents a sensational success, like OpenStack.