Release Naming/Q Proposals
Q Release Naming
According to the Release Naming Process, this page will contain a list of nominated names for the Q release of OpenStack. We will accept nominations until 2016-06-28 23:59:59 UTC.
Release Name Criteria
- Each release name must start with the letter of the ISO basic Latin alphabet following the initial letter of the previous release, starting with the initial release of "Austin". After "Z", the next name should start with "A" again.
- The name must be composed only of the 26 characters of the ISO basic Latin alphabet. Names which can be transliterated into this character set are also acceptable.
- The name must refer to the physical or human geography of the region encompassing the location of the OpenStack design summit for the corresponding release. The exact boundaries of the geographic region under consideration must be declared before the opening of nominations, as part of the initiation of the selection process.
- The name must be a single word with a maximum of 10 characters. Words that describe the feature should not be included, so "Foo City" or "Foo Peak" would both be eligible as "Foo".
Names which do not meet these criteria but otherwise sound really cool should be added to a separate section of the wiki page and the TC may make an exception for one or more of them to be considered in the Condorcet poll. The naming official is responsible for presenting the list of exceptional names for consideration to the TC before the poll opens.
Exact Geographic Region
The Geographic Region from where names for the Q release will come is New South Wales
- Queanbeyan - A small city near Canberra -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queanbeyan (Fun too -- pronounced a bit like "Queen Bean")
- Quirindi - A small town on the North West Slopes region of New South Wales
- Quambone - A locality in New South Wales -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quambone
- Quaama - A locality on the southern coast of NSW -- http://quaama.org.au
- Queens - Queens Pound river in the Souther Coast region of NSW -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens_Pound_River
- - Also a park in Sydney -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens_Park,_New_South_Wales
- Quanda - A nature reserve in central NSW -- http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Quanda-Nature-Reserve
- Quakers - Quakers Hill is a suburb of Sydney - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers_Hill,_New_South_Wales
- Qibla - An Islamic college in NSW -- http://www.qiblacollege.nsw.edu.au
- Quandialla - A village in NSW -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quandialla
- Quipolly - An old railroad station in NSW -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipolly,_New_South_Wales
- Quay - Circular Quay (pronounced "key") is the area most tourists would associate with Sydney (Bridge, Opera House and Harbor ) -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_Quay
- Quandary - A place in NSW. Also "a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation." https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quandary
- Quokka - A road in Sydney, also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quokka, Cute little australian mammal, loves selfies - http://www.boredpanda.com/quokka-selfie-trend-cute-rodent-australia/
- Quamby - A place in NSW
- Questa - After Questa Park - A place in NSW
- Quialigo - A place in NSW
- Quinburra - A place in NSW
- Quipolly - A place in NSW
- Quondong - A place in NSW
- Quorn - A place in South Australia
Proposed Names that do not meet the criteria
- Quorrobolong (an area near Newcastle, adjacent to Watagans National Park) - too long
- Queensland - Second largest state in Australia, perfect troll to pretend we don't know australian geography.
- Queenscliff - a popular surf beach and point break at a rivermouth which surfer Barton Lynch surfs regularly. There is a bombie one-kilometer offshore which can produce 50 foot waves. - too long (11 char)
- Quandong - A tasty native fruit, often made into jam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santalum_acuminatum - not a geographical location