OpenStack releases are numbered using a YYYY.N time-based scheme. For example, the first release of 2012 will have the 2012.1 version number. During the development cycle, the release is identified using a codename. Those codenames are ordered alphabetically: Austin was the first release, Bexar is the second, Cactus the third, etc.
These codenames are chosen by popular vote using the basic Launchpad poll feature over the ~openstack group. Codenames are cities or counties near where the corresponding OpenStack design summit took place. An exception (called the Waldon exception) is granted to elements of the state flag that sound especially cool.
- Austin: The first design summit took place in Austin, TX
- Bexar: The second design summit took place in San Antonio, TX (Bexar county).
- Cactus: Cactus is a city in Texas
- Diablo: Diablo is a city in the bay area near Santa Clara, CA
- Essex: Essex is a city near Boston, MA
- Folsom: Folsom is a city near San Francisco, CA
- Grizzly: Grizzly is an element of the state flag of California (design summit takes place in San Diego, CA)
- Havana: Havana is an unincorporated community in Oregon
Only single words with a maximum of 10 characters are good candidates for a name. Bonus points for sounding cool.
"I" release cycle naming
The next OpenStack summit will happen in Hong Kong.
That creates a pretty challenging naming problem, since there is no word starting with "i' in classic transliteration of Chinese words. So the Technical Committee is willing to bend the rules a little to extend the range of candidates... Feel free to add suggestions to the list below.
Cities / Counties in country/state where the design summit is held
- Ili (a famous autonomous prefecture place in Xinjiang in China with a beautiful grassland, 伊犁, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ili_Kazakh_Autonomous_Prefecture and http://baike.baidu.com/view/37642.htm)
Islands (there is an Islands district in Hong-Kong)Spreads the wrong image of non-interoperability
Innermongolia (Inner Mongolia is a region of China)Way too long
- Icehouse (Ice house street is a street in Hong-Kong. It's also a Miller beer and a rock band, which may or may not be a problem)
Inspiration (there is an Inspiration lake in Hong-Kong. But it's a cheesy artificial theme park)too long
- Itbayat (there is an Itbayat island in South China sea relatively near Hong Kong, but it's in Philippines)
- Ichang (Ichang street, 宜昌街, one of the shortest streets in Tsim Sha Tsui)
- Inverness (Inverness road, 延文禮士道, a quiet street nears Kowloon Walled City. a community of older mansions. A trade school called Arts and Technology Education Centre (藝術與科技教育中心) is also located there. Some of the most famous schools in HK are also near Inverness Road. Oh. Lee Shau Kee School of Creativity right across the road. Kowloon Walled Park is also around.)
- Indihome (or "Indi". The 39th-tallest building in Hong Kong. 樂悠居. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indi_Home)
- Indigo (a place? shop? in central Hong Kong, and the name of a snake. This is the year of the snake.)
We now have enough good suggestions of place names, so we'll probably don't need to extend the rules to non-places... but keep them coming :)
- Incense ("Hong Kong" literally means "Fragrant Harbour", as local incense trees were responsible for turning HK into a thriving trading post since the 14th century)
- Ipman (Ip Man, His legacy of popularizing Wing Chun 詠春 globally, respected figure in modern Chinese history, and also Bruce Lee's teacher, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yip_Man, but doesn't look so great once contracted to single word)
- Independence (this is not a place per se, but if free and open source means free as in freedom, then independence is a logical destination)
- Icarus (Tenuous link for this cool name: mythical person with wings: flying in clouds (and beyond, but we won't talk about that)... and the most tenuous link to Hong Kong: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_%27to_kill_two_birds_with_one_stone%27)
- Igneous (the most dominant rock type in Hong Kong, and it sounds cool.)
- Imagine (name the release after the creativity of the people of China, and can be easily put to music with lyrics from John Lennon.)
- Ieoh (named after I. M Pei the architect of the 4th tallest building in Hong Kong)
- Inferno (because both food and weather are hot in Hong Kong.)
- Island (the origin and center of Hong Kong is Hong Kong Island)