OpenStack Liberty Release Notes
- 1 OpenStack Liberty Release Notes
- 1.1 OpenStack Networking (Neutron)
- 1.2 OpenStack Compute (Nova)
- 1.3 OpenStack Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- 1.4 OpenStack Identity (Keystone)
OpenStack Networking (Neutron)
- Neutron now supports IPv6 Prefix Delegation for the automatic assignment of CIDRs to IPv6 subnets. For more information on the usage and configuration of this feature, see the OpenStack Networking Guide.
- Neutron now exposes a QoS API, initially offering bandwidth limitation on the port level. The API, CLI, configuration and additional information may be found here .
- Router high availability (L3 HA / VRRP) now works when layer 2 population (l2pop) is enabled .
- VPNaaS reference drivers now work with HA routers.
- Networks used for VRRP traffic for HA routers may now be configured to use a specific segmentation type or physical network tag .
- The OVS agent may now be restarted without affecting data plane connectivity.
- Neutron now offers role base access control for networks .
- LBaaS reference driver is now based on Octavia, an operator grade scalable, reliable Load Balancer platform
- Neutron now supports a way that an agent can start without selectable for auto-scheduling but manual-scheduling available so that a deployer can test an agent manually .
Deprecated and Removed Plugins and Drivers
- The metaplugin is removed in the Liberty release.
- The IBM SDN-VE monolithic plugin is removed in the Liberty release.
- The FWaaS API is marked as experimental for Liberty. Further, the current API will be removed in Mitaka and replaced with a new FWaaS API which the team is in the process of developing.
- The stock Trusty Tahr kernel (3.13) shows linear performance degradation when running "ip netns exec" as the number of namespaces increases. In cases where scale is important, a later version kernel (e.g. 3.19) should be used.
OpenStack Compute (Nova)
- If you are coming from Kilo stable, please make sure you have fully upgraded to the latest release of that lineage before deploying Liberty. Due to bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1474074 versions of Kilo from before the fix will be problematic when talking to Liberty nodes.
- Allocation ratios for RAM and CPU are now defined within the nova-compute service (so per compute node), thus need to be also provided for the scheduler service. Depending on whether a compute node is running Kilo or Liberty, the allocation ratios will behave differently : if the compute node is running Kilo then the CPU and RAM allocation ratios for that compute node will be the ones defaulted in the controller's nova.conf file.Or, if the compute node is Liberty then you'll be able to set a per-compute allocation ratio for both CPU and RAM. In order to leave the operator providing the allocation ratios to all the compute nodes, the default allocation ratio will be set in nova.conf to 0.0 (even for the controller). That doesn't mean that allocation ratios will actually be 0.0, just that the operator needs to provide those before the next release (ie. Mitaka). To be clear, the default allocation ratios are still 16.0 for cpu_allocation_ratio and 1.5 for ram_allocation_ratio.
- nova-compute should be upgraded to Liberty code before upgrading Neutron services per the new "network-vif-deleted" event: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187871/
- Rootwrap filters must be updated after release to add the touch command.
- There is a race condition between imagebackend and imagecache mentioned in the Launchpad Bug 1256838.
- In this case if base image is deleted by ImageCacheManager while imagebackend is copying the image to instance path, then instance goes in to error state.
- In order to resolve this issue, there is a need to add 'touch' command in compute.filters along with the change https://review.openstack.org/#/c/217579/.
- In case of a race condition when libvirt has changed the base file ownership to libvirt-qemu while imagebackend is copying the image, then we get Permission denied error on updating the file access time using os.utime. To resolve this error we need to update the base file access time with root user privileges using touch command.
- The DiskFilter is now part of the scheduler_default_filters in Liberty per https://review.openstack.org/#/c/207942/ .
- The novaclient.v1_1 module has been deprecated [][] since 2.21.0 and we are going to remove it in the first python-novaclient release in Mitaka.
- The TrustedFilter is now deprecated per [] and will be removed by the Nxxx (14.0.0) release (TO BE REMOVED IF NOT MERGED BY LIBERTY)
- Method `novaclient.client.get_client_class` is deprecated [] since 2.29.0 and we are going to remove it in Mitaka.
OpenStack Telemetry (Ceilometer)
Key New Features
- The name of some middleware used by ceilometer changed in a backwards-incompatible way. Before upgrading, edit the paste.ini file for ceilometer to change "oslo.middleware" to "oslo_middleware". For example using sed -ri 's/oslo\.middleware/oslo_middleware/' api_paste.ini
OpenStack Identity (Keystone)
Key New Features
Release notes based on blueprints and wishlist bugs are being collaboratively drafted on Etherpad and will be moved here when they are complete. Please contribute upgrade notes and deprecation notes directly below.