OpenStack Product Working Group
new IRC meetings https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/product-team past IRC meetings http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/product_working_group/2015/ F2F Aug2015 https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/productwg-liberty-midcycle-meetup F2F Feb2015 https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-product-management-midcycle F2F Sep2014 https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/paris-product-meeting Subscribe to the Mailing List Mailing List Archives
We will support the OpenStack developer community in their desire to build open-source cloud software that reflects the needs of the various markets adopting the platform by creating user stories that reflect the voice of the end-users/operators. These user stories will focus on items that have traditionally been harder to implement based on the need for cross-project coordination and significant development time (spanning multiple releases). Finally, the team will also focus on sharing regular updates on directional insights for the platform (gathered from key members from the development community) in the form of a multi-release roadmap. The ultimate mission is to help focus on areas that are identified as high impact by removing barriers to adoption/operation/scale.
Who we are
The product working group consists of product managers, technologists, and operators from a diverse set of organizations. The group is working to aggregate user stories from the market-focused teams (Enterprise, Telco, etc.) and cross-project functional teams (e.g. logging, upgrades, etc.), partner with the development community on resourcing, and help gather data to generate a multi-release roadmap. Most of the user stories being tracked by this team consists of items that can span multiple releases and usually have cross-project dependencies.
The group aims to **improve the quality of the delivery process, the delivered product, and the product experience for operators and end users**.
The objectives of this working group, based on the mission, are therefore to:
- Collect Feedback and Aggregate Requirements: This group will collect (and aggregate) user, admin, customer, and operator requirements. The group should also interface with and gather data from, the other groups collecting requirements for specific verticals, markets, or user segments (e.g. Operators, Win The Enterprise, Personas, NFV/Telco, End Users/App Developers, etc.)
- User Story Planning and Prioritization: Develop a repeatable, transparent, process for prioritization of user stories along with creating/tracking components level blueprints/specs associated with the user story on a per-release cycle basis. The criteria for the process along with the results should be clearly communicated with the community and our end-customers.
- Multi-release Roadmap: Generate a multi-release roadmap based on the aggregated data and resulting themes/requirements. The roadmap will be socialized, transparently, to community stakeholders for agreement and approval. After a roadmap has been established/approved, the OpenStack community will be notified of the results, the drivers for the decision, and its impact over multiple releases to consumers (and developers) of the platform.
Timeline for Integration of the Product team with other teams; PTLs, TC, and other User Committee working groups
- Form a rough draft workflow
- Present rough draft workflow to the TC
- Present data collected so far at the Liberty summit
- Run through some examples with the TC, PTL, and WTE
- At the Tokyo summit, present the multi-release direction for L through N releases
Cross Project Liaisons
- Novaː Hugh Blemmings
- Neutronː Mike Cohen
- Cinderː Shamail Tahir
- Swift: Phil Williams
- Glance: Nate Ziemann
- Keystone: Sheena Gregson
- Horizon: Carol Barrett
- OSClient: Megan Rosetti
- Manila: Pete Chadwick
- Ceilometer: Krish Raghuram
The Current set of User Stories in execution and development can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d1ZKuZ6gsiG6CXXrfONBwAGGHA8SYINbYC9BSPBKllI/edit#gid=1956934401