OpenStack Product Working Group
To listen, and aggregate, feedback on the desired capabilities for the OpenStack platform from multiple key sources including the contributor community (PTLs), customers, and users. The group will also aim to help PTLs and contributors resolve issues that are either of strategic importance or have broad implications across a multitude of services. Finally, we will also help customers/users be successful with adoption of the platform by leveraging additional development resources on areas that are identified as high impact by removing barriers to adoption/operation.
The objectives of this working group, based on the mission, are therefore to:
- Collect Feedback
- Gather, and report, feedback in a transparent manner from customers (developers, end users, and vendors) on OpenStack with regards to the state, capabilities, and user experience of the platform.
- Categorize and Increase Contextual Awareness
- Provide the data and associated context on themes (and associated use cases, problem statements) to all stakeholders to ensure focus areas can be clearly defined for each release cycle.
- Prioritization Planning
- Develop a repeatable, transparent, process for prioritization of requirements for each release. The criteria for the process along with the results should be clearly communicated with the community and our end-customers.
- Transparent Reporting
- Increase transparency for the prioritization of consolidated feedback from customers (developers, end users, and vendors) along with the resulting plan of intent.
- Increase Uniformity of Epics and User Stories
- The team should leverage epics to capture larger stories/requirements and then convert to (two or more) user stories to break them into actionable granularity.
- Aggregation of Requirements
- This group will collect (and aggregate) user, admin, customer, and operator requirements. The group should also interface with, and gather data from, the other existing groups collecting requirements for specific verticals, markets, or user segments (e.g. Operators, Win The Enterprise, Personas, NFV/Telco, End Users/App Developers, etc.)
- Grouping Requirements and Cross Project Communication of Requirements
- This group will be analyzing data/requirements received from all of the sources (developers, end users, operators, and vendors) and establish grouping of similar requirements into themes. The themes will also have a recommended break-down of manageable engineering tasks necessary for meeting the theme criteria which will be communicated across all projects.
- Multi-release Roadmap
- Generate multi-release roadmap based on the aggregated data and resulting themes/requirements. The roadmap will be socialized, transparently, to community stakeholders for agreement and approval. After a roadmap has been established/approved, the OpenStack community will be
notified of the results, the drivers for the decision, and its impact over multiple releases to consumers (and developers) of the platform.
Outputs of this group
The initial outputs of the team are to define various processes and, most importantly, to listen to the PTLs and document their current roadmaps and thoughts.
The team is currently focused on three outputs:
1) Socialization: Gathering feedback from PTLs and documenting the results
2) Roadmap Definition: Creating the process that can be used to eventually define the roadmap
3) Roadmap Communication: Creating the process for cross-project communication of the roadmap and making it transparent
It's good practice to send a brief personal introduction when signing up.