This page is primarily concerned with tooling that can satisfy the needs of operators requiring a build process that can produce OpenStack packages given a set of git repos.
At the 2014 OpenStack summit in Paris, a group of Operators met to discuss collaboration opportunities for tooling related to the operation of OpenStack clusters. Packaging was one of the major topics. The etherpad can be found here
Following this, a mailing list thread was created on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the available options and a potential path towards consolidation of packaging tools.
|Title||Build mechanism||Deb Output||Rpm Ouput||Venv Output||Image Output||Url||Company||Contact|
|Anvil||python + rpmbuild...||WIP||yes||WIP||no||github||GoDaddy, Yahoo||Josh Harlow|
A tool that consumes a list of OpenStack git repos and produces packages
- Numerous requests for both deb and rpm support
- Some folks don't like the idea of using things that are not rpmbuild/dpkg-buildpackage
- Nice to be able to start from a stable base (eg RDO) and go from there
- Most folks not particularly attached to their tooling and would happily switch
- Patch support
- Requirement dependency analysis
- No humans involved in the build/update process (automatable)
Nice to haves
- Single file that defines what repositories to select from
Weekly meetings tentatively proposed for 1500 UTC on Mondays