OpenStack Operations Guide
This guide provides information about operating OpenStack clouds.
We recommend that you turn to the Installation Tutorials and Guides, which contains a step-by-step guide on how to manually install the OpenStack packages and dependencies on your cloud.
While it is important for an operator to be familiar with the steps involved in deploying OpenStack, we also strongly encourage you to evaluate OpenStack deployment tools and configuration-management tools, such as Puppet or Chef, which can help automate this deployment process.
In this guide, we assume that you have successfully deployed an OpenStack cloud and are able to perform basic operations such as adding images, booting instances, and attaching volumes.
As your focus turns to stable operations, we recommend that you do skim this guide to get a sense of the content. Some of this content is useful to read in advance so that you can put best practices into effect to simplify your life in the long run. Other content is more useful as a reference that you might turn to when an unexpected event occurs (such as a power failure), or to troubleshoot a particular problem.
- Factors affecting OpenStack deployment
- Planning for deploying and provisioning OpenStack
- Capacity planning and scaling
- Lay of the Land
- OpsGuide/Managing Projects and Users
- User-Facing Operations
- Maintenance, Failures, and Debugging
- Cloud Controller and Storage Proxy Failures and Maintenance
- Compute Node Failures and Maintenance
- Storage Node Failures and Maintenance
- Handling a Complete Failure
- Configuration Management
- Working with Hardware
- RabbitMQ troubleshooting
- Determining Which Component Is Broken
- What to do when things are running slowly
- Network Troubleshooting
- Using ip a to Check Interface States
- Visualizing nova-network Traffic in the Cloud
- Visualizing OpenStack Networking Service Traffic in the Cloud
- Finding a Failure in the Path
- Network Configuration in the Database for nova-network
- Debugging DHCP Issues with nova-network
- Debugging DNS Issues
- Troubleshooting Open vSwitch
- Dealing with Network Namespaces
- Assign a lost IPv4 address back to a project
- Tools for automated neutron diagnosis
- Logging and Monitoring
- Backup and Recovery
- Advanced Configuration
- Operational Upgrades