Transform every legacy notification to the new versioned notification framework.
How to do it
- Check the notification devref that describes the new framework: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/notifications.html
- Check the existing new versioned notification example: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/245678/
- Check the example transformation patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/313654/ or any other notification that is already transformed
- Select a task for the below table and add your IRC handle to table. (Please take only one at a time)
- Propose a transformation patch based on the examples.
- Make sure that you create a new sample file under doc/notificaiton_samples/
- Make sure that you add a notification sample test under nova/tests/functional/notification_sample_test/
- If you got stuck you can ask questions from rlrossit and gibi on IRC or join the weekly notification subteam meeting https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/NovaNotification
The master is now open for Ocata so work can continue.
Please use the https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/versioned-notification-transformation-ocata topic for the transformation commits
The burndown chart is updated hourly from gerrit https://vntburndown-gibi.rhcloud.com/index.html . You can see what to transform and what to review there.
There are three types of transformations:
- category: instance-payload: The easy ones that uses the same payload as instance.delete
- category: extended-instance-payload: The complex instance.<action> notifications that needs payload extension.
- category: specific-payload: The rest that needs specific payload
If something doesn't show up on the burndown then please ping gibi on IRC.
Follow up tasks
- syjulian will solve security issue in wrap_exception notification see the comments in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310700/19/nova/compute/utils.py and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310700/19/nova/exception_wrapper.py
- Proposed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/336284/
- syjulian to refactor out the additional notify_about_instance_action() calls see comments in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/313654/37/nova/compute/manager.py
- Proposed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/344990/
- after the json schema patch is merged in ovo and a new ovo lib version is released we can add a tool to nova generate the json schemas for the versioned notifications.