Monasca/Migration from Ceilometer
Migration to Monasca from Ceilometer
This page is a Work in Progress.
With many changes in the Telemetry project, there has been a lot of interest in using Monasca as the monitoring and metrics service in OpenStack. (ref Train PTG notes)
The Monasca and Telemetry projects have both been official OpenStack projects for many years, with some overlap and some complementary features. With Monasca, it is possible to have the functionality to monitor, meter, alarm, gather logs, and soon to track Events in your OpenStack installation.
Comparison of Features
(to be filled in. level of detail a question, but might be nice to have a table listing the options across the top, Ceilometer/Gnocchi, Ceilometer publishing to Monasca, Monasca only)
Considerations for Migration
(to be filled in. Likely need to point out that Events are not fully supported yet)
- Data currently stored in Ceilometer will not be migrated to a new Monasca monitoring system. So plan for a final backup and export of data from Ceilometer, and choose a cut-over date.
Supported Use Cases
- User wishes to gather monitoring information from their compute nodes (and VMs or Containers)
- User wishes to gather metering data from their compute nodes for Billing purposes
- User wishes to visualize their monitoring data (in Grafana)
- User wishes to export their metering data to CloudKitty for billing
- User wishes to export their metering data to another billing system (up to them to check on compatibility, but many support Monasca)
- User wishes to use monitoring data for auto-scaling or self-healing features (Vitrage, Heat, Watcher, etc)
Recommended Migration Sequence
- Identify which Ceilometer metrics are being actively used and their value to the user. List the comparable metrics in Monasca.
- Do a proof of concept install with Monasca. Configure metrics in Monasca. Check that metrics in Monasca meet expectations.
- Verify any billing or external systems that use Ceilometer data work with Monasca data.
- Notify users of the cut-over date. This is likely easiest to accomplish coordinated with an OpenStack upgrade.
- Install Monasca. Shut down Ceilometer.