- On-demand on Tuesdays at 1600 UTC
- IRC channel: #openstack-meeting-3
- Chair: pc_m (Paul Michali)
There currently are no planned VPNaaS meetings. If there is an important aspect to discuss, you can either add an on-demand topic to the Neutron IRC meeting, or hold an on-demand meeting in the above reserved channel. If doing the latter, please update the agenda, and next meeting date on this page, and post a notice on the openstack-dev mailing list with ample time for people to allocate time to attend (you may want to request a quorum).
Next meeting: TBD
Logs and Minutes
Meetings, with their notes and logs, will be found under http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/vpnaas/
Updated Oct 5th, 2015
- Local multiple subnet
- Endpoint group server and client code is upstreamed.
- Devstack plugin for neutronclient commit to make voting.
- Multiple local subnet feature and CLI pushed for review.
Multiple Local Subnets
Will work on follow-up commits for functional tests, API documentation, and additional validation.
Bugs under Review
Current bugs: VPN bugs
Current reviews: VPNaaS reviews
Here is a list of features/fixes/enhancements that could be done for VPNaaS, with a subjective assessment of the importance of each:
- Certificate support for IPSec (Barbican - see what LBaaS did to use certificate). - RFE created. VPNaaS isn't practical for production use with pre-shared keys, IMHO. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1459427)
- Removing direct dependency on Neutron, causing breakages occasionally (neutron-lib).
- Complete python34 support for test (see tox.ini for disabled tests).
- Grenade work to support Advanced Services, so that plugin can be activated (partial implementation).
- User documentation for Networking Guide for VPNaaS. (including limitations/restrictions)
- Documentation on how to use StrongSwan
- Documentation on the differences between StrongSwan and OpenSwan (and any limitations/restrictions of each - e.g. mixing IPv4/v6)
- Break out new endpoint-group and multiple local subnet API logic into separate extension(?) so that Horizon can detect when feature is available (Akihiro mentioned).
- Complete move of API tests to neutron-vpnaas repo (https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1483417), and add tests for endpoint-group and multiple local subnet APIs.
- Modify neutron-client so that Horizon can detect multiple local subnet capabilities (https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1515670).
Nice to Have
- Check when removing/changing GW I/F that is not used by VPNaaS (may be bug for this).
- Improve coverage in UTs.
- Checking various sync() cases: router w/o VPN running on it any more; router with VPN running, but no longer a service configured; process running VPN, but no longer VPN configured.
- Verification of reported status for various cases: connections (active, down, pending create), service (created, deleted, admin down).
- Refactor the rest of the database tests and remove round trip test cases once similar tests in place.
- Need more functional tests for OpenSwan device driver (and StrongSwan driver). Identify what's needed (MTU check, connection delete, admin up/down?, non-default configs [API or unit?], IPv6).
- Refactor duplication out of device driver code (OpenSwan, StrongSwan, Cisco, Vyatta)
- The OpenSwan class should be separated from the ABC definition, and placed into a new module.
- Remove /n from execute method in utils.py so that duplicate code can be removed in VPN drivers.
- Developer Reference Documentation needed.
- Migrate to using neutronclient extension for VPN (and create job).
- StrongSwan execute_with_mount() to allow configurable rootwrap config file (hard coded currently).
Pie in the Sky Items
- Explore leveraging off of endpoint group mechanism for other VPN flavors.
- Drivers for other VPN types (e.g. something similar to AWS DirectConnect and Azure ExpressRoute) DMVPN, SSLVPN?
List of people w/IRC that are interested in participating (coding, reviewing, testing, and/or documenting):
- Paul Michali (pc_m)
- Sridhar Ramaswamy (sridha_ram)
- Al Miller (ajmiller)
- Victor Howard (vichoward)