- Weekly on-demand on Tuesdays at 1600 UTC
- IRC channel: #openstack-meeting-3
- Chair: pc_m (Paul Michali)
If you want to hold a meeting. Update this wiki page with agenda modifications, date of meeting desired, date of update, and then post a notice on the openstack-dev mailing list, at least 24 hours prior to the meeting start time. We have reserved this (new) channel on the IRC for the time/day of week.
Next meeting: Tuesday, June 30th, 2015 (No meeting on June 23rd).
Logs and Minutes
Meetings, with their notes and logs, will be found under http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/vpnaas/
Updated June 30th, 2015
- Scenario testing
- Multiple local subnet enhancement
- BGP/MPLS VPN and Edge VPN discussion
Strongswan test is failing. Looks like there are two rootwrap/netns commands running and they are using the same socket (to communicate with rootwrap daemon), causing a runtime error. Each client thread should have its own socket. Not sure why this happens for Strongswan, but not Openswan. The former does use a special rootwrap/netns script. Urgently need help in trying to resolve this issue.
Multiple Local Subnets on VPN connection
Proposes 3 possible ways to deal with this change. First is minimal, just add basic support. Second splits into two APIs separating what is connected from how it is connected. Third, is same as second, only doesn't limit the "what" to CIDRs, allowing future reuse by other VPN types.
All three proposals in Dev Ref doc that I put out for review (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/191944). Please check it out and comment on the idea.
BGP/MPLS and Edge VPN
Please contribute use cases to https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/vpn-flavors, so that we can better understand the VPN variants that are being discussed.
Let's try to get the use cases and workflows documented on the etherpad, so we have a shared understanding of the different proposals out there. Can continue discussing the designs here.
Here's some info from the summit:
- Edge-VPN http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/networking-edge-vpn/ with spec https://review.openstack.org/#/c/152377/
- BGP VPN https://github.com/stackforge/networking-bgpvpn with API proposa https://review.openstack.org/#/c/177740
Bugs under Review
Current bugs: VPN bugs
Current reviews: VPNaaS reviews
Need resolution of gate issues for: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159746
Here are some ideas for tasks that need to be done (feel free to work on them - put your name by any you choose)...
- User documentation for Networking Guide. (including limitations/restrictions)
- Coverage, especially in database and device driver modules, is lacking.
- Need functional tests for OpenSwan device driver (and StrongSwan driver). Identify what's needed (MTU check, connection delete, admin up/down?, non-default configs [API or unit?], IPv6).
- Refactor duplication out of device driver code (OpenSwan, StrongSwan, Cisco, Vyatta)
- The OpenSwan class should be separated from the ABC definition, and placed into a new module.
- Remove /n from execute method in utils.py so that duplicate code can be removed in VPN drivers.
- Documentation on how to use StrongSwan
- Developer Reference Documentation needed.
- Documentation on the differences between StrongSwan and OpenSwan (and any limitations/restrictions of each - e.g. mixing IPv4/v6)
- StrongSwan execute_with_mount() to allow configurable rootwrap config file.
- Support for BGP/MPLS VPN? DM VPN? OpenVPN (road-warrior)? Can/should they be integrated into VPNaaS?
- Certificate support for IPSec (Barbican - see what LBaaS did to use certificate). - RFE created.
- Devstack support for VPNaaS (see LBaaS including devstack setup in their repo).
- Multiple local subnet support for IPSec. - RFE created. pc_m
- There is interest by some on other VPN types (e.g. something similar to AWS DirectConnect and Azure ExpressRoute).
- Should enhance/add unit test cases for:
- Checking various sync() cases: router w/o VPN running on it any more; router with VPN running, but no longer a service configured; process running VPN, but no longer VPN configured.
- Verification of contents of configuration files created for StrongSwan and OpenSwan.
- Verification of reported status for various cases: connections (active, down, pending create), service (created, deleted, admin down).
List of people w/IRC that are interested in participating (coding, reviewing, testing, and/or documenting):
- Paul Michali (pc_m)
- Sridhar Ramaswamy (sridha_ram)
- Al Miller (ajmiller)