- Weekly on-demand on Tuesdays at 1600 UTC
- IRC channel: #openstack-meeting-3
- Chair: pc_m (Paul Michali)
If you want to hold a meeting. Update this wiki page with agenda modifications, date of meeting desired, date of update, and then post a notice on the openstack-dev mailing list, at least 24 hours prior to the meeting start time. We have reserved this (new) channel on the IRC for the time/day of week.
Next meeting: Tuesday, July 14th, 2015.
Logs and Minutes
Meetings, with their notes and logs, will be found under http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/vpnaas/
Updated July 7th, 2015
- Local tunnel IP
- VPN with HA router
- Multiple local subnet enhancement
- BGP/MPLS VPN and Edge VPN discussion
- Grenade job for Neutron disabling services
- Devstack plugin for VPN, out for review (https://review.openstack.org/200592)
- "M" summit VPN topics?
Local Tunnel IP
Working on implementing https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1464387. Code out for review (please look at it). Will do separate commit for Neutron client. Suggest we do validation check for IPsec connection, ensuring peer's IP version matches IP version of router's fixed IPs.
VPN with HA Router
WIP code out for review https://review.openstack.org/200636. Needs review. Concern over GW IP (local tunnel IP) impact.
Multiple Local Subnets on VPN connection
Review of developer reference doc (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/191944). New rev available; please review so we can converge on a proposal. Would like to know if it will work for other VPN flavors.
BGP/MPLS and Edge VPN
Need feedback from the BGP team, on the endpoints API proposal to see if it can adapt for use in the future for BGPVPN.
Please contribute use cases to https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/vpn-flavors, so that we can better understand the VPN variants that are being discussed.
Anything to discuss here? Next steps?
- Edge-VPN http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/networking-edge-vpn/ with specs:
- BGP VPN https://github.com/stackforge/networking-bgpvpn with API proposal https://review.openstack.org/#/c/177740
Bugs under Review
Current bugs: VPN bugs
Current reviews: VPNaaS reviews
Need resolution of gate issues for: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159746
Here are some ideas for tasks that need to be done (feel free to work on them - put your name by any you choose)...
- Create VPN grenade job to test migrations for VPN.
- Validation that peer IP for VPN connection is of same version as router's GW I/F.
- User documentation for Networking Guide. (including limitations/restrictions)
- Coverage, especially in database and device driver modules, is lacking.
- Need functional tests for OpenSwan device driver (and StrongSwan driver). Identify what's needed (MTU check, connection delete, admin up/down?, non-default configs [API or unit?], IPv6).
- Refactor duplication out of device driver code (OpenSwan, StrongSwan, Cisco, Vyatta)
- The OpenSwan class should be separated from the ABC definition, and placed into a new module.
- Remove /n from execute method in utils.py so that duplicate code can be removed in VPN drivers.
- Documentation on how to use StrongSwan
- Developer Reference Documentation needed.
- Documentation on the differences between StrongSwan and OpenSwan (and any limitations/restrictions of each - e.g. mixing IPv4/v6)
- StrongSwan execute_with_mount() to allow configurable rootwrap config file.
- Support for BGP/MPLS VPN? DM VPN? OpenVPN (road-warrior)? Can/should they be integrated into VPNaaS?
- Certificate support for IPSec (Barbican - see what LBaaS did to use certificate). - RFE created.
- Devstack support for VPNaaS (see LBaaS including devstack setup in their repo).
- There is interest by some on other VPN types (e.g. something similar to AWS DirectConnect and Azure ExpressRoute).
- Should enhance/add unit test cases for:
- Checking various sync() cases: router w/o VPN running on it any more; router with VPN running, but no longer a service configured; process running VPN, but no longer VPN configured.
- Verification of contents of configuration files created for StrongSwan and OpenSwan.
- Verification of reported status for various cases: connections (active, down, pending create), service (created, deleted, admin down).
List of people w/IRC that are interested in participating (coding, reviewing, testing, and/or documenting):
- Paul Michali (pc_m)
- Sridhar Ramaswamy (sridha_ram)
- Al Miller (ajmiller)