Weekly Nova team meeting
MEETING TIME: Thursdays alternating 14:00 UTC (#openstack-meeting) and 21:00 UTC (#openstack-meeting)
This meeting is a weekly gathering of developers working on OpenStack Compute (Nova). We cover topics such as release planning and status, bugs, reviews, and other current topics worthy of real-time discussion.
NOTE: this wiki page should be 'emptied' at the end of each meeting.
Agenda for next meeting
Next meetings scheduled for:
- November 19th 2015 2100 UTC, #openstack-meeting (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151119T210000)
- November 26th 2015 1400 UTC, #openstack-meeting (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151126T140000)
Add your IRC nick to this list to be pinged at the start of the meeting:
mikal tjones cburgess jgrimm adrian_otto funzo mjturek jcookekhugen
irina_pov krtaylor danpb alexpilotti flip214 jaypipes garyk edleafe dims
moshele anteaya Nisha sileht claudiub lxsli neiljerram markus_z swamireddy alevine
tonyb andreykurilin ndipanov sc68cal akuriata artom jlvillal mnestratov kashyap
aloga rgeragnov bauzas xyang tpatil med_ nic scottda nagyz belliott
dguitarbite sdague jroll diana_clarke _diana_ raildo jichen gjayavelu mdorman klindgren
sorrison belmoreira mrda mmmpork PaulMurray gcb thorst duncant
Please note "stuck review" means a review where there is some disagreement that needs resolving. Its not for reviews that just haven't had attention, except for exceptional cases. Where you see "?" feel free to just edit the wiki and add your item.
Here is the agenda for the next meeting:
- Release Status
- November 19: Spec Review Day
- Virtual doc sprint December 8th and 9th
- Mitaka-1 is December 1st-3rd
- December 3rd is also non-priority spec and blueprints freeze
- Review of specless blueprints:
- NOTE: we will not go through the full list in real time, its just to advertise the list and discuss any disagreement/appeal
- please review the list on here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-nova-spec-review-tracking
- Call for backward incompatible changes for python-novaclient 3.0 (mitaka-2): http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/079915.html
- Regular Reminders
- New review focus list: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-nova-priorities-tracking
- Bugs (stuck/critical)
- Gate status
- 3rd party CI status
- Critical bugs
- Stable branch status: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stable-tracker
- stable/kilo: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:stable/kilo,n,z
- stable/juno: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:stable/juno,n,z
- Juno is frozen for the 2014.2.4 release and then EOL after that.
- Stuck Reviews
- Please note "stuck review" means a review where there is some disagreement that needs resolving. Its not for reviews that just haven't had attention, except for exceptional cases. Where you see "?" feel free to just edit the wiki and add your item.
- Any stuck code reviews to discuss:
- Improve Performance of UnShelve api, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/135387/18/specs/mitaka/approved/improve-unshelve-performance.rst
- Open discussion
- should we create some explicit guidelines about the creation of "reno" release-note files? (markus_z) (background: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/reno/usage.html ; example in Nova: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/245828/1 ) The Cinder and keystone folks did wonder too: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/cinder/2015/cinder.2015-11-18-16.00.log.html
- How do we want to handle instance_actions wrt purge/archive of instances? http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/079778.html
- PowerVM Driver Docs
- Nova core team has asked the PowerVM Drivers team to show users of the driver other than the large PowerVC use. We have some good queries and interest in it, and of course do significant testing with pure OpenStack. However, to encourage external use, we would like to have some official documentation on docs.openstack.org to help with operator comfort in using the driver.
- The Telemetry and Networking teams have recognized these projects as official sub-projects of their programs, allowing us to use the OpenStack docs and specs infrastructure. This leaves nova-powervm in a bit of a chicken/egg scenario: providing official docs is a big part of getting users, but becoming official requires users.
- Moving encryption/decryption code into brick
- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/247372/ and at least two mailing list discussions
- Some preference being expressed for keeping decryption only in nova, but this doesn't actually match the use cases
- Encrypted images need to be figured out and documented I think (DuncanT)
- Maybe create-encrypted-volume only in cinder (create from image, retype-to-encrypted volume) will work for enough use-cases. This is a key management thing (that barbican was supposed to provide semantics for, no idea if it currently does) not a where-the-code lives thing. Cinder does not want to copy and paste the code into cinder since that always causes issues with the code getting out of sync. Need a decision though, otherwise we'll have to copy-paste (or keep it in brick without nova moving over, which is effectively the same thing)
There are also some Nova subteam meetings. See Nova#Active_Sub-teams: for details.