Weekly Nova team meeting
Regular MEETING TIME: Tuesdays 16:00 UTC (#openstack-nova on OFTC)
This meeting is a weekly gathering of developers working on OpenStack Compute (Nova). We cover topics such as release planning and status, bugs, reviews, and other current topics worthy of real-time discussion.
This information will be updated weekly but not mentioned in the meeting unless specifically called out on the agenda.
- #topic Release News
- #link Nova Yoga schedule https://releases.openstack.org/yoga/schedule.html
- #topic Stable branch status
- #link stable/yoga: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+(project:openstack/os-vif+OR+project:openstack/python-novaclient+OR+project:openstack/nova)+branch:stable/yoga
- #link stable/xena: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+(project:openstack/os-vif+OR+project:openstack/python-novaclient+OR+project:openstack/nova)+branch:stable/xena
- #link stable/wallaby: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+(project:openstack/os-vif+OR+project:openstack/python-novaclient+OR+project:openstack/nova)+branch:stable/wallaby
- #link stable/victoria is EM
- #topic Bugs (stuck/critical)
- #link bug triage how-to: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/BugTriage#Tags
- #help need help with bug triage
- #topic Gate status
- #link check queue gate status http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html
- #link 3rd party CI status (not so dead) http://ciwatch.mmedvede.net/project?project=nova
- #topic Review status page
- #link http://status.openstack.org/reviews/#nova
- Count: 438 (+20); Top score: 2303 (+21) (last refresh was 09-03)
- #help Pick a patch near the top, shepherd it to closure
Agenda for next meeting
Next meetings scheduled for:
- May 10 2022 16:00 UTC #openstack-nova (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=2022-05-10T16:00:00)
- May 17 2022 16:00 UTC #openstack-nova (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=2022-05-17T16:00:00)
- May 24 2022 16:00 UTC #openstack-nova (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=2022-05-24T16:00:00)
- May 31 2022 16:00 UTC #openstack-nova (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=2022-05-31T16:00:00)
Where you see "?" feel free to just edit the wiki and add your item.
Here is the agenda for the next meeting:
- #topic Bugs (stuck/critical)
- #info No Critical bug
- #link https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?search=Search&field.status=New 19 new untriaged bugs (-3 since the last meeting)
- #link https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/openstack/placement 26 open stories (0 since the last meeting) in Storyboard for Placement
- #info Add yourself in the team bug roster if you want to help https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/nova-bug-triage-roster
- #info Next bug baton is passed to Uggla
- #topic Gate status
- #link https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=gate-failure Nova gate bugs
- #link https://zuul.openstack.org/builds?project=openstack%2Fplacement&pipeline=periodic-weekly Placement periodic job status
- #link https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/builds?job_name=nova-emulation&pipeline=periodic-weekly&skip=0 Emulation periodic job runs
- #info Please look at the gate failures and file a bug report with the gate-failure tag.
- #info STOP DOING BLIND RECHECKS aka. 'recheck' https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/testing.html#how-to-handle-test-failures
- #topic Release Planning
- #link https://releases.openstack.org/zed/schedule.html
- #info Zed-1 is due in 1 week
- #info Spec review day happens today on May 10th
- #topic Review priorities
- #link https://review.opendev.org/q/status:open+(project:openstack/nova+OR+project:openstack/placement+OR+project:openstack/os-traits+OR+project:openstack/os-resource-classes+OR+project:openstack/os-vif+OR+project:openstack/python-novaclient+OR+project:openstack/osc-placement)+label:Review-Priority%252B1
- #link https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-config/+/837595 Gerrit policy for Review-prio contributors flag. Naming bikeshed in there.
- #link https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/contributor/process.html#what-the-review-priority-label-in-gerrit-are-use-for Documentation we already have
- #topic Stable Branches
- #info ussuri and older branches are still blocked, newer branches should be OK
- #topic Sub/related team Highlights
- #info No subteam left
- #topic Open discussion
- (owner_nick) Add your own point you want to discuss here.
- (sean-k-mooney) VDPA
- i have 4 patches in flight to complete all remaining operation for vdpa https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:bug%252F1970467
- the first patch add resize/cold migrate, evacuate and shelve support and is tracked as a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1970467 since the code actually support those operations they were just blocked in the API since it was untested.
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/841016 enables detach interface by adding the missing parsing code for the sorce_dev element for vdpa ports
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/841017 fixes what i think is a bug in suspend today with any sriov interfaces. tl;dr the code tries to unplug the devices as if they are using the hostdev element when infact they may be using the interface element (still need to confirm) this prevent suspend form working with vdpa
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/841012/3 removes the final API block for suspend and live migration and adds VNIC_TYPE_VDPA to the VNIC_TYPES_DIRECT_PASSTHROUGH which is all that is required to make hot_plug live migration work. however for upgrades we should have a compute service version bump and check it in the conductor as we do for sriov live migration.
- Question should we track the file 3 patches as bugs, a specless blueprint or a spec. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vdpa-suspend-detach-and-live-migrate
- Note: transparent vdpa live migration is in flight upstream in qemu and the kernel but it likely wont land in time for Zed. if it did i would propose a spec for that in addition to this work separately. the changes on top of this code would be minor just adding a trait and/or second compute service bump so signal support for transparent live migration and allow use to schedule based on it when selecting the destination host.
There are also some Nova subteam meetings. See Nova#Nova_subteams for details.