Difference between revisions of "Manila/design/manila-newton-hpb-support"
(Add initial page)
Revision as of 10:04, 11 February 2016
Hierarchical port binding support for Manila
Manila with DHSS (driver handles share service) == True does basically two jobs:
- Creates/manages shares within a share service
- Creates networking from tenant VM to the share service / storage cluster
-- pic 01
Some manila drivers are capable to support plain VLAN networking but this technology limits the number of actual networks in the cloud to 4096. With HPB (Hierarchical port binding) this barrier can be reduced by using VXLAN on top of VLAN within the networking fabric. In general this is transparent for the underlying storage since it's just a VLAN that will be visible.
With the current implementation of manila a neutron port is just created to receive a IP and a segmentation ID. The underlaying networking fabric simply ignores the port since no port binding is done at all:
How nova does port binding
- Enhance manila networking part to add binding_host, device_id and device_owner
- Wait until port is "up" and start share service
- Add a manila-network-bind-agent
- Support also multi-segment networks