TECHNICAL COMMITTEE MEMBER POLICY
1. Membership of Technical Committee. The Technical Committee shall initially have the same members as the Project Policy Board of OpenStack, LLC and their terms shall continue as determined by the Project Policy Board, but in no case longer than one year after their election to the Project Policy Board. Beginning with the first election, all members selected to the Technical Committee shall be Individual Members (the initial members of the Technical Committee do not need to be Individual Members). A member of the Technical Committee may cease to be an Individual Member during his or her term, but must be an Individual Member at the time of nomination.
2. Election to Technical Committee.
- (a) The members of the Technical Committee shall be elected by a vote of the Active Technical Contributors (“ATC”) using a fair voting method determined by the Technical Committee. The first election shall be held no later than October 31, 2012. Each Technical Committee member shall hold the seat for a term not to exceed one year, but may be re-elected to the Technical Committee. After the initial election, the elections for the Technical Committee shall be held at least every six months.
- (b) Upon completion of the election, the Technical Committee shall give notice to the Board of Directors and the Secretary. The Secretary shall maintain a list of the members of the Technical Committee. Any member of the Technical Committee may resign by delivering notice in writing or by electronic transmission to the Secretary. Such resignation shall be effective upon receipt unless it is specified to be effective at some other time or upon the happening of some other event.
- (c) In the event of a Technical Committee election that would result in half or more of the members of the Technical Committee being Affiliated, the Board of Directors may defer the effective date of office of the newly elected Technical Committee members who are Affiliated for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days after a resolution by the Board of Directors approving such deferral. The Board of Directors must pass such resolution within thirty (30) days of the notice of election results from the Technical Committee. During such period of deferral, the Technical Committee and the Board of Directors shall work to resolve the issue by agreement among themselves, such as by a resignation of one or more Technical Committee members or having the Individual Member with the next highest number of votes become a member of the Technical Committee. If the Technical Committee and the Board of Directors are not able to agree on a resolution within such thirty (30) day period, the Board of Directors may require another election for such positions.
3. Determination of Active Technical Contributor.
- (a) Within thirty (30) days of the COI Effective Date, the Technical Committee shall provide a list of ATCs on such date (“Initial ATC List”) and the Individual Members on such list shall remain ATCs for three hundred and sixty five days after the date of appointment.
- (b) After the Initial ATC List, an ATC shall be determined as follows:
- (i) An Individual Member is an ATC who has had a software contribution approved for inclusion in any of the modules of the Core OpenStack Project during one of the two prior release cycles of the Core OpenStack Project (“Approved Contribution’). Such Individual Member shall remain an ATC for three hundred and sixty five days after the date of acceptance of such Approved Contribution.
- (ii) An Individual Member who has made only other technical contributions to the OpenStack Core Project (such as bug triagers and technical documentation writers) can apply to the chair of the Technical Committee to become an ATC. The final approval of such application shall be approved by a vote of the Technical Committee. The term shall be for three hundred and sixty five days after the date of approval of the application by the Technical Committee.
- (c) The Technical Committee shall maintain a list of ATCs and their contact information and a written description of the procedures for electing the members of the Technical Committee. The chair of the Technical Committee shall provide such list and such written description to any member of the Board of Directors or Member upon their request.
4. Meetings of Technical Committee. The Technical Committee shall meet at least quarterly.
5. Technical Committee Process. Except as expressly provided in these Bylaws, the Technical Committee shall determine its process and procedures, provided that such process and procedures must be published in a manner that they are readily accessible to all Members of the Foundation.