- 1 Glance Cinder Driver
- 1.1 What are the benefits of this approach?
- 1.2 How do you set up Glance on Cinder?
- 1.3 How would an image upload work?
- 1.4 How would an image download work?
- 1.5 How would a Nova boot work?
- 1.6 Single tenant vs Multi tenant? How do we prevent the volume being deleted/changed out from under Glance?
- 1.7 What are the dependencies for this change?
- 2 Subsequent Features
Glance Cinder Driver
There is currently a Cinder store in Glance, however it does not support uploads and downloads. This is a proposal to allow Cinder to act as a data store for Glance images that supports upload and download by using Cinder volumes as containers for image data. There would be a 1-to-1 mapping of Glance images to Cinder volumes.
What are the benefits of this approach?
This will allow Glance to store images on the various SAN and NAS storage systems that are supported by Cinder. It also allows for storing images as block devices to enable the features mentioned in the "Subsequent Features" section of this wiki page.
How do you set up Glance on Cinder?
These new configuration options will need to be added to the current Cinder store options:
- cinder_store_tenant - sting - The Cinder tenant in which to store images when using single-tenant mode
- cinder_store_user - string - The Cinder user used to access Cinder when using single-tenant mode
- cinder_store_key - string - The Cinder key used to access Cinder when using single-tenant mode
- cinder_store_multitenant - boolean - If true, attempt to store images in the tenant of the requester, otherwise use the information provided by 'cinder_store_tenant', 'cinder_store_user','cinder_store_key'
How would an image upload work?
TODO: Diagram for upload with detailed explanation
How would an image download work?
TODO: Diagram for download with detailed explanation
How would a Nova boot work?
TODO: Diagram for boot with detailed explanation
Single tenant vs Multi tenant? How do we prevent the volume being deleted/changed out from under Glance?
What are the dependencies for this change?
- Brick library
- Exact volume sizes
- Cinder multi-attach
Bootable Volumes via Glance
This proposal is to allow Glance to create bootable volumes when using Cinder as a backend store.
When set, all images that are uploaded to cinder of the following formats will be set as bootable volumes: Example configuration: bootable_volume_formats = ‘raw’, ‘qcow2’
Boot from Volume via Image
This proposal is to allow nova to boot directly from an image stored as a bootable volume (boot from volume)