Edge Computing Group
- 1 Mission Statement
- 2 Group Resources
- 3 Meetings
- 3.1 Next meeting: Monday (November 01), 6am PST / 1300 UTC
- 3.2 Action item registry
- 3.3 Agenda
- 3.4 Upcoming Calls/Topics
- 3.5 Meeting Logs
- 3.5.1 Weekly Call Logs
- 3.5.2 Virtual PTG Recordings, October, 2021
- 3.5.3 CHI@Edge - recording of the session with the Chameleon project, September 13, 2021
- 3.5.4 Virtual PTG Recordings, April, 2021
- 3.5.5 Open Geospatial Consortium presentation, November 16, 2020
- 3.5.6 Virtual PTG Recordings, October, 2020
- 3.5.7 Virtual PTG Recordings, June, 2020
- 4 Working Group Activities
- 5 Adjacent Projects and Communities
- 6 Challenges
- This OSF Edge Computing Group’s objective is to define infrastructure systems needed to support applications distributed over a broad geographic area, with potentially thousands of sites, located as close as possible to discrete data sources, physical elements or end users. The assumption is that network connectivity is over a WAN.
- The OSF Edge Computing Group will identify use cases, develop requirements, and produce viable architecture options and tests for evaluating new and existing solutions, across different industries and global constituencies, to enable development activities for Open Infrastructure and other Open Source community projects to support edge use cases.
- Edge Computing Web Page - https://www.openstack.org/edge-computing/
- IRC Channel on Freenode - #edge-computing-group
- IRC Channel Logs: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23edge-computing-group/
- Mailing list - http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/edge-computing
- Mondays at 6am PDT / 1300 UTC
- Calendar file is available here.
Next meeting: Monday (November 01), 6am PST / 1300 UTC
Action item registry
Please feel free to add your topic to the agenda. Please add your name as well so we know on the meeting who to ping.
- Action items
- See Action item registry
- Tangled up in Edge discussion - Hardware, TPM and Trust & Verification
- 2021 activities
- November 8th at 6am Pacific / 1400 UTC
- Digital Rebar presentation and discussion - Rob Hirschfeld
- November 15th at 6am Pacific / 1400 UTC
- Smart Edge presentation and discussion - Neal Oliver
- November 22
- Thanksgiving week in USA, meeting will likely be cancelled
- November 29 at 6am Pacific / 1400 UTC
- Networking and IPv6 discussion with Ed Horley
Weekly Call Logs
Virtual PTG Recordings, October, 2021
- Monday (October 18): https://zoom.us/rec/share/m2byTydgru8EoJEvha_XKuRz3-pSCKonnjx3aK6vwPGn8a-ZDqcI-WfENyrUDS7V.RehroG2ScY_lG1MK
- Passcode: d+Eb7d$8
- Tuesday (October 19): https://zoom.us/rec/share/Ar-mHC0De8MnFAkjMNDiGXWWWtGxxL-nxcuvEM6TIxaxAfLuG9DO9myRVw-yGRWX.SAiqAX4WcEai3iRY
- Passcode: 5%W.&V%*
- Wednesday (October 20): https://zoom.us/rec/share/AO3Fg8o8h_GVvon_v9KoKkrUwIJxjcElxBrPFyAohZBooK_HtG0P6HyBlZHXSvlz.S3Td71kBz64rYnjO
- Passcode: KEc%%p7g
- etherpad: https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/ecg-ptg-october-2021
CHI@Edge - recording of the session with the Chameleon project, September 13, 2021
- Passcode: HW^55Kc+
Virtual PTG Recordings, April, 2021
- Monday (April 19): https://zoom.us/rec/share/n9O0Se1JScNSLntUBvy0MtXRgdJGotz8GOP-zWvM3aLQvv6zIkjqYXM93HUzxEDx.D7gc0jc8SEYgqkXN
- Tuesday (April 20): https://zoom.us/rec/share/yMN8QANWzI7FJ_Hh-ys166_sECX2XgSgX-B_jKnnlYh4UjCAv9S32s-9U4mzjUGf.HZIErlBO6LOIMrJz
- Wednesday (April 21): https://zoom.us/rec/share/HVUp0n99jAJwlrD2zcoNxji_ZLWOBC8VsYsEP6h32Xrorxtqo20HsIdL9WL08Eoy.ese3KUH2Fq-HXm3q
Open Geospatial Consortium presentation, November 16, 2020
- Call recording
- Slides: https://portal.ogc.org/files/?artifact_id=95522
Virtual PTG Recordings, October, 2020
- Monday (October 26): https://zoom.us/rec/share/Y9GFNd2gxzeGvXTPby7XFBhbNX-uRLxzFsbl3SmPZLXpdvLRF8uzHEg6eFcukcPp.RTU9bg7r5jDIcYGT
- Tuesday (October 27): https://zoom.us/rec/share/seuDC-u95KzdBw0-mPPz7LV20ruiDdNdLYoF3QMwdjcjuAKRWMcggGClkTmvf8U.tKj_HUSkCSVoOO08
- Wednesday (October 28): https://zoom.us/rec/share/9UrZ9JxS9jNR06DGwiV1wnc4aPX5EGYhI_xVCTvglqrj9-i8QajNzJD8kWeU9N0W.h59c74-AQOngXcxG
- PTG notes: https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/ecg-vptg-october-2020
Virtual PTG Recordings, June, 2020
- Password: 1H!2?7%u
- Password: 3y*99q.6
- Password: 8H?A7OC2
Working Group Activities
- Upcoming events to attend and prepare for
- Interesting sessions from events
- Liaison: Ildiko Vancsa
- Meeting logs
Minimal Reference Architectures
Work items for testing
- Detailed design of the minimal reference architectures
- Configuration of the minimal reference architectures
- Draft test plan: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ecg-test-plan
- Lab requirements - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/edge-computing/2019-June/000597.html
- etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osf-edge-hacking-days
- Every Friday, please add your availability to the etherpad if you're available and interested
- Distributed Cloud (Incubation Project)
- Resource Synchronization and Quota Management Framework
- Storyboard Story: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002842
- Updated Gerrit Code Reviews:
Adjacent Projects and Communities
- Life-cycle Management. A virtual-machine/container/bare-metal manager in charge of managing machine/container lifecycle (configuration, scheduling, deployment, suspend/resume, and shutdown). (Current Projects: TK)
- Image Management. An image manager in charge of template files (a.k.a. virtual-machine/container images). (Current Projects: TK)
- Network Management. A network manager in charge of providing connectivity to the infrastructure: virtual networks and external access for users. (Current Projects: TK)
- Storage Management. A storage manager, providing storage services to edge applications. (Current Projects: TK)
- Administrative. Administrative tools, providing user interfaces to operate and use the dispersed infrastructure. (Current Projects: TK)
- Storage latency. Addressing storage latency over WAN connections.
- Reinforced security at the edge. Monitoring the physical and application integrity of each site, with the ability to autonomously enable corrective actions when necessary.
- Resource utilization monitoring. Monitor resource utilization across all nodes simultaneously.
- Orchestration tools. Manage and coordinate many edge sites and workloads, potentially leading toward a peering control plane or “selforganizing edge.”
- Federation of edge platforms orchestration (or cloud-of-clouds). Must be explored and introduced to the IaaS core services.
- Automated edge commission/decommission operations. Includes initial software deployment and upgrades of the resource management system’s components.
- Automated data and workload relocations. Load balancing across geographically distributed hardware.
- Synchronization of abstract state propagation Needed at the “core” of the infrastructure to cope with discontinuous network links.
- Network partitioning with limited connectivity New ways to deal with network partitioning issues due to limited connectivity—coping with short disconnections and long disconnections alike.
- Manage application latency requirements. The definition of advanced placement constraints in order to cope with latency requirements of application components.
- Application provisioning and scheduling. In order to satisfy placement requirements (initial placement).
- Data and workload relocations. According to internal/external events (mobility use-cases, failures, performance considerations, and so forth).
- Integration location awareness. Not all edge deployments will require the same application at the same moment. Location and demand awareness are a likely need.
- Dynamic rebalancing of resources from remote sites. Discrete hardware with limited resources and limited ability to expand at the remote site needs to be taken into consideration when designing both the overall architecture at the macro level and the administrative tools. The concept of being able to grab remote resources on demand from other sites, either neighbors over a mesh network or from core elements in a hierarchical network, means that fluctuations in local demand can be met without inefficiency in hardware deployments.