Install Guide Work Items
Existing Install Guide
- Update the title (OpenStack Installation Tutorial) to reflect that it is for training and not production, and add preamble to explain that purpose.
- Change filename from install-guide to install-tutorial
- Update /shared/setup.cfg
- Theme somewhere?
Document from packages to best use existing content, but continue to revisit this problem over time, as more data emerges about which installation method users prefer.
Edit the existing content so that it uses manual configuration only.
- Create scripts that can be run and automatically tested and include snippets of these scripts verbatim in the guide. This will accelerate testing of the guide.
Create a ‘cookie cutter’ template that can be used for all services (AJaeger): https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314229/
- Document the process of adding a big tent project under the new governance, including what tests and dependencies are required.
- Move Shared File Systems (Manila), Object Storage (Swift), Orchestration (Heat), Telemetry (Ceilometer), Database (Trove) to project repositories and link them in the “Additional projects” chapter.
- Orchestration (pkovar)
- Shared File Systems (gouthamr)
- Object Storage (pkovar)
- Telemetry (ildikov)
- Database (Laurel Michaels, Andreas Jaeger)
Project-Specific Install Guides
- Move projects that are now out of scope of the basic install guide into in their own repositories. Also, create initial skeleton for these project specific install guides so that project teams have a consistent starting point that others can follow as example. This affects: Orchestration (heat), Telemetry (telemetry), Object Storage (swift), Shared File system (manila).
- Create new chapter “project specific install guides” as skeleton.
- Create new project-specific install guides section on http://docs.openstack.org .
- Create example jobs for publishing of project-specific install guides (jaegerandi): https://review.openstack.org/#/c/326039/
- Work with operator tags team to amend the ops:docs:install-guide tag (thingee)
Create a “cookie cutter” template for use by projects when creating new Install Guides
For projects to create a guide
This is documented in the Contributor Guide.