- 1 Introduction
- 2 Train PTG Summary
- 2.1 Thursday 5/2/2019
- 2.1.1 Stein Retrospective
- 2.1.2 Ceph iSCSI Support
- 2.1.3 Cinder/Glance creating image from volume with Ceph
- 2.1.4 Glance image properties and Cinder encrypted volume key management
- 2.1.5 Encryption key manage on volume clone
- 2.1.6 Continued discussion of old CG API removal
- 2.1.7 Backup tests notifications leaking
- 2.1.8 Optional dependency install mechanism
- 2.1.9 Passwords in cinder.conf/oslo.config with Castellan driver
- 2.1.10 Fall mid-cycle planning
- 2.1.11 Migration from SQL-Alchemy to Alembic
- 2.1.12 Syncing scheduler stats in an HA environment
- 2.1.13 Pre-release checklist
- 2.1.14 Privsep and rootwrap
- 2.1.15 abc removal
- 2.1.16 Delete volume from DB
- 2.1.17 Quiesced snapshots
- 2.1.18 Talk about merging the RSD driver
- 2.1.19 3rd Party CI
- 2.1.20 Generic Backup Driver Discussion
- 2.1.21 Driver Folder Clean-up/Refactoring
- 2.1.22 Optimized Backup drivers
- 2.1 Thursday 5/2/2019
This page contains a summary of the subjects covered during the Train Summit and PTG held in Denver, Colorado, USA, April 28 to May 4, 2019.
The full etherpad and all associated notes may be found here.
Train PTG Summary
- Summary: The release went relatively well though we had issues getting releases out We kept our deadlines and which was good and added the priority dashboard which was also beneficial.
- Action (jungleboyj): Clean up the Cinder Wiki pages.
- Action (team): Checkout dashboards and see if anything needs to be updated.
- Action (smcginnis): Add release notes for the cinderclient backports to call out the changes that upgrading will bring.
Ceph iSCSI Support
- Summary: There is great interest in getting this support in place from multiple consumers. We should continue to push trying to get this in place.
- Action (jungleboyj): Get the spec that Lenovo has started updated and pushed up for review.
- Action (eharney): Check with internal Red Hat teams to make sure that there are not others already working on this.
- Action (hemna): To reach out to the Ceph community and see how receptive they would be to client changes to support iSCSI use cases.
Cinder/Glance creating image from volume with Ceph
- Summary: Determined that the problem really needs to be handled on the Glance side so there was no action required by Cinder.
Glance image properties and Cinder encrypted volume key management
- Summary: Keys are not getting deleted from the HSM like they are supposed to be. Glance should be deleting keys when they are done being used. This was acceptable if we make it very clear the key is one that may be deleted.
- Action (rosmaita): Draft up a spec proposing this functionality.
- Action (eharney): Will write a Cinder spec to handle the transition from the old to the new approach of key management.
Encryption key manage on volume clone
- Summary: Right now when we clone volumes we just make a copy of the encryption key. Seems like this really should be a new key.
- Action (eharney): Go through how this work with snapshots -- snapshots keep the old key, volumes get a new key
- Action (eharney): Write a spec based on the results of the investigation.
Continued discussion of old CG API removal
- Summary: It appears that all drivers that still have the old functions in place actually route to the appropriate generic code. So, it should be safe to remove the old API.
- Action (smcginnis): To clean up the old code in the volume manager.
- Action (smcginnis): To clean up database tables for CGs (ConsistencyGroup and CGSnapshot)
- Action (smcginnis): Encourage drivers that still have the old code in place to remove the code.
Backup tests notifications leaking
- Summary: The leak of backup.createprogress notifications has been causing gate failures for some time. Can work around the issue by ignoring the notifications but we really should fix it.
- Action (eharney): Continue to work with Rajat to find the source of the problem.
Optional dependency install mechanism
- Summary: Drivers that require externally available packages don't work easily in containers. This isn't good given the general movement to the use of containers.
- Action (team): Watch new drivers for such dependencies. If they have them make sure they do a good try/except import of the package. Also ensure the licensing is appropriate.
- Action (hemna): Work on verifying the dependent packages and determining a way to resolve the problem for containers.
Passwords in cinder.conf/oslo.config with Castellan driver
- Summary: Consumers don't want to be putting clear passwords in the config files. There is a better way to do things and we should move to supporting it.
- Action (eharney): To investigate how we can implement this for Cinder.
Fall mid-cycle planning
- Summary: No one had objections to doing the mid-cycle at Lenovo again. So, we will plan for 8/21 to 8/23/2019 at the Lenovo Campus in Morrisville, NC
- Action (eharney): To get more East Coast Cinder people involved.
- Action (jungleboyj): To confirm with Lenovo and make sure to keep Tom Barron in the loop.
Migration from SQL-Alchemy to Alembic
- Summary: We need to do this at some point since SQL-Alchemy is going away. Glance has already done the work and we can learn from them.
- Action (smcginnis): Will look into compacting our DB upgrades again. Currently back at the Ocata level.
- Action (smcginnis): Try to get guidance on how to proceed from zzzeek.
Syncing scheduler stats in an HA environment
- Summary: As more people are running an active/active HA environment we need to think about this more to make sure that scheduler instances stay in sync.
- Action (e0ne): Update the old spec he wrote about this to address comments: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/556529/2
- 'Action (geguileo): To help out Ivan as he starts reworking the spec.
- Summary: We have made mistakes over the last couple of releases as far as getting libraries created before the release, etc. We need to do better. Hopefully creating a checklist will help. https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/contributor/releasecycle.html
- Action (jungleboyj): To do follow-up patches to add additional details to the checklist.
- Action (eharney): Has additional comments on the content to merge.
Privsep and rootwrap
- Summary: We haven't really improved things in privsep as we are still using the rootwrap style of commands instead of breaking things down to using python functions to be more secure. We should improve this.
- Action (eharney): To take a look at his privsep patch for LIO and see if it could be pushed up.
- Action (eharney): Try to get better granularity on privileges
- Summary: ABC has never worked the way we intended. At this point is would be best to just remove it. We should plan to work on this in the U release as we are moving to Py3.
Delete volume from DB
- Summary: Support organizations would like a way to delete volumes that doesn't go through the driver code but people have concerns with going straight to the DB. Need to find a middle ground.
- Action (eharney): Going to look at the patch that was proposed and suggest that unmanage have an --ignore-state option added.
- Summary: People are still surprised we can't do this. We should work with Nova to see if we can make this happen.
Talk about merging the RSD driver
- Summary: 3rd Party CI looks good and the team has been responsive to comments. Close to being ready to merge.
- Action (team): To review the driver and try to get it in place.
- Action (e0ne): To make sure to review it given that he had experience with the PoC for the NVMe driver.
3rd Party CI
- Summary: We need to make sure that all 3rd Party CIs are running py3 by milestone 2 and that they have resolved all issues with the change in repo names.
- Action (jungleboyj): Make sure that all CIs are running py3 testing by milestone-2 in Train.
- Action (jungleboyj): Propose unsupported patches for those that fail to meet the requirement.
- Action (jungleboyj): Need to also ensure that all 3rd Party CIs are running the Cinder Tempest Plugin.
Generic Backup Driver Discussion
- Summary: The team would still like to get this in place and Ivan has continued to work on it. Need to review the patches that are out there to help this.
- Action (team): Review patches that are currently out there: https://review.opendev.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/cinder+branch:master+topic:bp/backup-host-selection-algorigthm and https://review.opendev.org/#/c/500094/
- Action (e0ne): To continue to push the team to review the patches.
Driver Folder Clean-up/Refactoring
- Summary: The volume driver folder is a bit of an inconsistent mess and it would be good to clean up. There is also a mess in the code to deal with.
- Action (smcginnis): Going to work on creating a patch to bring consistency to the subfolders in volume/drivers.
- Action (hemna): Will work to move exceptions for individual drivers out of cinder/exceptions.py into individual drivers.
- Action (jungleboyj): There is old code left around from previously removed drivers in os-brick. Review os-brick and remove what is appropriate.
Optimized Backup drivers
- Summary: NetApp indicated interest in creating an optimized backup driver for their storage backend. The team didn't have a concern with this idea.
- Action (erlon): To propose a review to implement this for the team to review.