This page serves as a getting started guide for community members interested in contributing to the OpenStack Chef cookbooks and example repository.
- The OpenStack + Chef community leverages the main openstack-dev mailing list with the tag of [chef] in the subject line.
- There is an #openstack-chef channel on Freenode.net. Come hang out with us and collaborate there.
- Our IRC status meeting are at 14:30 GMT 10:30 EST 07:30 PST on Mondays and we post the links to the Mailing List and our IRC status meeting/office hours are at 14:30 GMT 10:30 EST 07:30 PST on Thursdays. We try to have as many core members here so we can discuss topics or issues users are having.
Blueprints / Feature Tracking
For major feature enhancements and planning you can use Launchpad's Blueprints system for the OpenStack + Chef project on Launchpad. You can create a new blueprint that may be targeted to a milestone and tracked appropriately. The process for blueprint content reviews is documented here: https://github.com/stackforge/openstack-chef-specs
The canonical upstream Chef cookbooks and example repository are located in the Stackforge Github organization. There is a single Chef cookbook for each integrated OpenStack project:
- OpenStack Bare Metal (Ironic) cookbook
- OpenStack Block Storage (Cinder) cookbook
- OpenStack Compute (Nova) cookbook
- OpenStack Dashboard (Horizon) cookbook
- OpenStack Data Processing (Sahara) cookbook
- OpenStack Database (Trove) cookbook
- OpenStack Identity (Keystone) cookbook
- OpenStack Image (Glance) cookbook
- OpenStack Network (formerly known as Quantum) cookbook
- OpenStack Object Storage (Swift) cookbook
- OpenStack Orchestration (Heat) cookbook
- OpenStack Telemetry (formerly known as Metering) (Ceilometer) cookbook
In addition to the project cookbooks, there are five support cookbooks:
- Client provider cookbook
- Common library cookbook
- Example database configuration cookbook
- Example message queue configuration cookbook
- OpenStack Integration Test Suite (Tempest) cookbook
- A distributed network storage and filesystem (Ceph) cookbook
As well as an example Chef Repository that sets up an OpenStack environment:
The following table show the supported openstack releases and platforms. Note that some of the cookbooks do not support all the platforms, see the Readme's and metadata files for more information.
|Grizzly||stable - frozen||Ubuntu 12.04|
|Havana||stable - frozen||Ubuntu 12.04, RedHat 6.5, Suse 11.03|
|Icehouse||stable - frozen||Ubuntu 12.04, RedHat 6.5, Suse 11.03|
|Juno||stable - fixes||Ubuntu 14.04, RedHat 7|
|Kilo - Master||development||Ubuntu 14.04, RedHat 7, Suse 11.03|
Release branching work items page
How to Contribute
We have broken this off into another page here.