OpenStack Academic Initiative
This group is silent and needs a person responsible to drive its progress.
- provide a place for all research academics efforts can be advertised and found, about and around OpenStack (not generic about IaaS or PaaS)
- a list of papers published and ongoing research
- a list of conferences about cloud computing
- maintain a list of ideas for the companies to sponsor research,like a "market"
- a place for the companies to say what they need and research can execute
- undergrad level, gsoc-style, time starved but there are many of them. it's important to be easy for them to contribute
- masters level, more in depth work, empirical studies like performance evaluation
- phd level, exploratory type of research
- handle the funding, hr tasks, mentoring: who's going to manage this?
- mentoring is intense and time consuming, but crucial for the success of research
- provide resources, like hardware for tests, for researchers
- advertise this initiative among researchers
- Example: setup OpenStack tracks at a couple of relevant conferences
Openstack is a very nice platform that could be leveraged by Academia for various research projects. Areas include:
- (General) Distributed Systems
- Scalable data layer
- CS.Princeton (Arpan Ghosh)
- Software Defined Networking
- Policy and languages
- Resource Allocation
- Network optimization
- Data mining and machine learning
- Monitoring and data collection of large data centers
- Mining patterns from collected data and applications e.g. anomaly detection etc.
Identify the group responsible for this initiative and define action items, deadlines and deliverables. Contact the User Committee to volunteer.